High Tide Aquatics

Reefin’ on a Budget

AndynotDrew

Supporting Member
Hey everyone! I’m not exactly from the Bay Area seeing as I’m in Riverbank, but I’m in the Bay Area often so I’ve been frequenting High Tide Aquatics and CaliKid Corals. Recently heard about the club and joined up last week. Appreciate the warm welcome and happy to be part of the club!

This is my 2nd go at my first reef tank. Working with a 50gal corner tank. It was a gift from a friend that was running it as freshwater with a hang on filter. I have two other freshwater tanks and decided it’s time to finally try saltwater.

I didn’t have the nerve to drill the out of fear that I’d mess up, so I ran a diy siphon overflow to a sump tank. Things were going well, until they weren’t. Went through algae outbreaks, and made all the newbie mistakes. To make matters worse I would lose siphon every two months like clockwork. I’d then empty the tank to access all the plumbing just to be sure it was still only a siphon issue and not catastrophic failure. I should’ve fixed the problem with an air pump, but I didn’t want to run one more piece of gear. Did I mention I’m reefin on a budget? Lol.

After a while I lost my motivation and the tank sat there with only power heads keeping the water moving. Cut the lights off to let the algae die, and didnt turn them back on. Eventually any coral in there died, and I lost the couple fish I had left (horrible person, I know). There it sat being a representation of my failure for a few months.

Finally, I decided it’s time to regroup, and revamp this system. To my surprise I still had some snails and a few hermit crabs in there! Made a diy above tank sump to avoid the siphon issue, redid the scape (a couple times), and let it run. Took things slow and 8 months later and here we are! Stocked with some fish, inverts, rbta, and I’m officially addicted to corals!

This has been a 2+ year process. I’m still a newbie learning more everyday and enjoying it. Here are some pictures showing my 2nd go at this. Appreciate any and all feedback, or pointers, and look forward to learning more.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.jpeg
    IMG_1806.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1861.jpeg
    IMG_1861.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1870.jpeg
    IMG_1870.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2121.jpeg
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2325.jpeg
    IMG_2325.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 57
Welcome again to BAR. I'm a newbie myself. So much to learn and so many ways to make mistakes. Going through my first major hurdle right now in my DT...dinos. I like the look of your scape.

Did you end up making something like a hanging overflow box?

Welcome again to BAR. I'm a newbie myself. So much to learn and so many ways to make mistakes. Going through my first major hurdle right now in my DT...dinos. I like the look of your scape.

Did you end up making something like a hanging overflow box?
Ain’t that the truth! Glad I’m not the only newb, but I am a real Andy (just sayin lol!).
Appreciate it, I spent more time stacking rocks than I’d like to admit

First filtration setup I followed the king of diy’s instructions for a siphon overflow and ran an under tank sump. Now I have the pump inside the display and a diy sump that overflows back into the display. I can get some pictures of it later when I get a better pic of the Adam Bomb.

Welcome! Thanks for joining and becoming a supporting member.

I made some of the same mistakes as you when I started: the hob overflow has siphon issues until we ran a line going into a minijet in the sump, put a striped damsel in there that became a terror, blue tang in anything smaller than a 180g, etc. Highly recommend remedying those first to prevent future headaches.

The above tank sump is also an old school way of doing it. Bruce Carlson had a bunch of these set up at the Waikiki aquarium and Hunter at lucky goldfish had a successful one above his. They were good in the days when we didn't have good pumps for flow. https://www.utahreefs.com/forum/waikiki-aquarium-carlson-surge-device_topic40777.html

Definitely take advantage of all the knowledge and resources here and can't wait to see how everything turns out!

Welcome! Thanks for joining and becoming a supporting member.

I made some of the same mistakes as you when I started: the hob overflow has siphon issues until we ran a line going into a minijet in the sump, put a striped damsel in there that became a terror, blue tang in anything smaller than a 180g, etc. Highly recommend remedying those first to prevent future headaches.

The above tank sump is also an old school way of doing it. Bruce Carlson had a bunch of these set up at the Waikiki aquarium and Hunter at lucky goldfish had a successful one above his. They were good in the days when we didn't have good pumps for flow. https://www.utahreefs.com/forum/waikiki-aquarium-carlson-surge-device_topic40777.html

Definitely take advantage of all the knowledge and resources here and can't wait to see how everything turns out!
It’s a definitely a learning process, I appreciate the input and the welcome.
I blame my 11yr old for the striped damsel, but he’s actually calmed down and does well now. The blue tang will be coming out soon and swapped for another little guy, unfortunately my tank size can’t be a forever home for any tang really :( Is there anything that stays small that pecks at algae all day the way a tang will?

I blame my 11yr old for the striped damsel, but he’s actually calmed down and does well now. The blue tang will be coming out soon and swapped for another little guy, unfortunately my tank size can’t be a forever home for any tang really :( Is there anything that stays small that pecks at algae all day the way a tang will?
Tomini stays pretty small for years. Then just rehome it when it gets bigger and get another.

Salt water adapted mollies actually do a good job. But you can stick with good herbivores like trochus snails, tuxedo urchins, etc to prevent algae from growing.

Welcome to our place in space
You’ve paid your dues, please accept our advice.
Your tank is too small for most tangs
Even if they start small, they will grow
While it’s great for our LFS, I highly discourage the philosophy of “oh I’ll just replace it when it gets too big”
I highly recommend you find a scopus tang and or a tomeniensis tang.
They both will remain on the smaller side
I / we want ethical treatment of your tank inhabitants
A mantra: keep less fish, longer!
Better for you, better for your tank inhabitants, better for the whole system
And
You will greatly benefit from an overflow and sump

Last edited:
While it’s great for our LFS, I highly discourage the philosophy of “oh I’ll just replace it when it gets too big”
And
Daymn Grand Master !!! You dropped some OG knowledge.

And
Some real wisdom here, exactly what I joined for. I appreciate the input.

Back