Our mission

Refractometer suggestion and netting question? Thanks for the help.

Dyngoe

Supporting Member
Hey all,

I also posted this first question on the other board but I thought I'd get a more reliable answer here to both of my questions:
1. Anyone have a suggestion for a good, budget refractometer? I can't believe there is much difference between some of the models and I'd prefer not spending $100 on one. I've been searching EBay and with all of the options I am hoping for some personal experiences.

2. Anyone know where to get 1/4" netting to keep in my firefish? I've read that there is clear netting and black netting at HD, but I have not found either. So, any help here would be appreciated.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5264.msg65136#msg65136 date=1227120197]
The $40 marine depot one works perfectly fine as long as you properly calibrate it IMO.

[/quote]

What I use for those reasons.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5264.msg65140#msg65140 date=1227120852]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=5264.msg65136#msg65136 date=1227120197]
The $40 marine depot one works perfectly fine as long as you properly calibrate it IMO.
[/quote]

What I use for those reasons.
[/quote]

Love mine as well, and ordering from Marinedepot sometimes comes next day when paying standard shipping!

I have the $60 one (USA something...), reads the 35ppm BAR Swap solution spot on every time, can't think of why you'd need to spend more.

Cheers,

Josh

I like the screw knob since it's so easy to adjust on the fly (I calibrate with every water change); plus I hate hunting for the screwdriver.

ic, I don't calibrate at every water change just once every couple months. The calibration never changes on me though. I just do it to be safe.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=5264.msg65150#msg65150 date=1227124698]
I like the screw knob since it's so easy to adjust on the fly (I calibrate with every water change); plus I hate hunting for the screwdriver.
[/quote]

It is more likely that your calibration standard varies faster than the 1once a year calibrated refractometer. Constant opening and closing of your standard will cause slow evaporation and will systematically cause you to increase your salinity levels while you believe they remain the same. (assuming you use these little small standard solutions such as what Norm provided)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5264.msg65152#msg65152 date=1227124884]
It is more likely that your calibration standard varies faster than the 1once a year calibrated refractometer. Constant opening and closing of your standard will cause slow evaporation and will systematically cause you to increase your salinity levels while you believe they remain the same. (assuming you use these little small standard solutions such as what Norm provided)
[/quote]

I don't think its that bad, I left the cap off mine for a day by accident and it still reads 35ppm. But after a year it probably will.

Cheers,

Josh

damn,i haven't calibrated mine in since i bought mine 7 year ago from marine depots.and then last swap the club hand out calibration fluid and i calibrated for the hell of it since i heard alot nightmare about bad refragometter.it's came out perfect.:)

lapsan

You are probably going to want smaller than 1/4" netting for fire fish. They are quite slim and would easily fit though 1/4 inch netting. I've had a decent size wrasse jump through the 1/4" netting before twice. I was there to witness one of the two times. Second time I found the wrasse dried up on the top of my netting.

nerd time: 0.25" net folded flat makes a 0.5" slit and a 0.32" circle. If your firefish has a height between those numbers, it can go through.

non-nerd: I agree with ian. get something like 1/8" net or smaller.

Back