Kessil

Removing scratch from acrylic aquarium

I just made a big long scratch on my acrylic aquarium. I found this product which has good reviews. Any other products or recommendations on how to remove scratches? I will not be emptying my tank when trying to remove the scratches. I think I'm going glass for sure for the next tank.

I never attempted to buff acrylic tank with water in it.
You could try regular sandpaper, then fine sandpaper then novus 2, novus 3. IF novus is reef safe and that's a big IF.

People have used Novus with no apparent/obvious side effects to their reef tanks. *shrug* I'd imagine if you rinse the heck out of it after using, it should be ok...Use some sort of neutralizer, vinegar or something else...

If your not going to drain the tank and if your gonna use that kit (which does work) you don't use any polish compound, Novus is not safe for a active reef.

Get ready for some rediclously hard work

It does work. I've used that kit in the past. It will get it to the point that it looks clear with water in the tank a bit hazy without water in the tank. Its actually not that hard to use.

*sigh* typed a long winded explanation, then for some reason hitting shift plus some key (I don't know what) caused the browser to "go back"... and of course everything I typed was gone when I went back forward... I hate this site sometimes *sigh*

I've used that kit as well. I just buy the micro mesh on it's own now, but the kit does work

GreshamH said:
I've used that kit as well. I just buy the micro mesh on it's own now, but the kit does work

Where do you buy the micro-mesh? I find the kit to be useful but if the product can be acquired in a "bulk" sort of way might as well jump to buy several sheets.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9930

Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
541 Contra Costa Blvd
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523

There are a TON of places that sell it online, but, if you want a local place Rockler has it.

I found some 1500 wet/dry in my toolbox from my car painting days... I was able to sand the deep scratches out.

Looks like they sell the Novus at Tap Plastics for cheaper than online and it's local. I'm thinking I need the Novus 2 & 3 and I should be good to go? Should I just apply it with a microfiber cleaning cloth?

I also like the micromesh also because there are no chemicals added to the water. You guys know where I can get this in the peninsula/city area? I found this kit online.

Roc said:
If your not going to drain the tank and if your gonna use that kit (which does work) you don't use any polish compound, Novus is not safe for a active reef.

Get ready for some rediclously hard work

quoted to answer latest question

It's actually not that bad IMO, although take that with a grain of salt, I've glassed more surfboards than I can count, now that's difficult and tedious sanding.

tuberider said:
It's actually not that bad IMO, although take that with a grain of salt, I've glassed more surfboards than I can count, now that's difficult and tedious sanding.

Can you come over and do the inside of my tank...LOL

I'll probably just use the Novus for the outside of my tank and just use sandpaper/micromesh for the inside (while still full of water). I've sanded a bunch of cars in my time and also have done some repairs to my surfboards so I'm up for a challenge. :)

Thanks everyone!

Back