Jestersix

Retrofitted a Hydrophonics reflector

I had this reflector for a while, looked into placing a Solatube inside to make for a nice reflective surface instead of the plain white coat it has.
I was looking for something, now I can't remember what I was looking for... but found couple things that were long lost in the basement, a skimmer and a bat-wing reflector with mogul socket.
Self drilling screws to hold the mogul/reflector, re-position the reflector by removing the rivets and since it does not cover the whole inside of it, came to my mind couple PC lamps 24W, have the sockets and I should have ballasts for them.
After an hour or so, the new reflector was done. I'm going to use 3/4" conduit heath-shrink wrapped instead of painting it and hang it over the little 37G cube that currently has a PFO-DE pendant.

0321002021.jpg

0321002020.jpg

ehem..., it's not my basement, but as if it was (until he kicks me out because I have a disaster down there) anyway, a man-cave.
Finished most of the reflector, removed the PC sockets because I need to find a way to fix their own little reflectors. Found some Odyssea moon lights striped off an old fixture long ago and might find a home in the retro-fitted reflector.
Tested it today, kind of cool to the touch; ~1" space between bat-wing reflector and Aluminum housing/old reflector. One fan pushes the other one pulls, 8V power supply and silent enough. Built the bracket, well bent the conduit and fitted it inside to hold the light, couple grommets and there was light.
Aqua Maxx 14K bulb on CoralVu dimmable ballast and cables zip tied. Saturday after the tank move will swing over San Mateo Electronics to pick some heath shrink tubing large enough to wrap the 3/4" conduit and skip the "paint it black part"

0323001454.jpg

0323001821a.jpg

Is there anyway to run all your power through the conduit itself?

I really like your mod, great re-use and slick over all :)

Thx Gresh !

Sure there's plenty of room inside the 3/4" but I want to be able to use different conduits, one for the 37G cube or if I change my mind over a frag tank I'm building; I'll post pictures of the reflector over the frag tank. Changing the conduit is easy, loosen screws on top and sliding the longer one in.
I want to try drilling a hole at certain points and pass all cables inside but have no drill press and drilling cylindrical things requires good steady hands or the easy way a drill press.
Most parts were used/recycled? besides the recent buy, two 3/4"conduits. Fans off old PC power supplies.

A great and simple way of doing round objects is to make a little jig using 2x 2x4's. You can also pre dent it to make it easier. I usually do both since I as well don't have a drill press.

I've seen the trick before, clamp it punch it, drill it; works just as good. Maybe I'm more concerned about other things than trying the old method, like the high price of steel? I'll grab one tube and practice on it.
It's Spring season so means garage/yard/sidewalk sales all over the place so I'll be hunting for a drill press, nothing fancy. It's amazing what one can find at a sidewalk sale...

Back