Neptune Aquatics

RO/DI Flood Guardian

musclebenz

Supporting Member
Anyone ever used this for your RODI container? My plan is to still turn on on and off the inlet water into the RODI manually but having this as an extra safety feature incase I forget to turn off the water?

20210419_183851.jpg

Yes, use it, love it.

My only complaint is I ordered one for FV and the first 2 solenoids I got didn't work. Let's see if the 3rd one they sent does.

One of the best pieces of equipment I've ever purchased. No more floods from forgetting to turn it off. Plus if you connect it to a 7-day timer you can schedule it to reset on and off. For me, I set it to automatically fill my ATO container on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Anyone ever used this for your RODI container? My plan is to still turn on on and off the inlet water into the RODI manually but having this as an extra safety feature incase I forget to turn off the water?
For reference I’ve used this thing as a workhorse for almost 3 years now and it’s never skipped a beat, only downside is of the power goes on/off it defaults to open so always have the end line closed if not in use

For reference I’ve used this thing as a workhorse for almost 3 years now and it’s never skipped a beat, only downside is of the power goes on/off it defaults to open so always have the end line closed if not in use
That sounds terrible to default open. What is wrong with the typical mechanical float, check valve, shut off?

That sounds terrible to default open. What is wrong with the typical mechanical float, check valve, shut off?

The default open is an easy fix with a shut off at the end, just don’t forget to close it when not in use For my purposes I use this thing to fill up water into many different containers so I would need to install a float valve on every single container I tend to fill which isn’t in the cards, I like how I can just move the magnet from a 30 gallon brute to 5 gallon bucket then back to the 30 gallon with the magnet then to my backyard container to fill up RO for the garden.

Next question. Does it make a difference where you place the solenoid shut off value? I keep reading that it should be place on the output RODI water line, but I was curious why not place the value between the water source and the RODI unit?

Next question. Does it make a difference where you place the solenoid shut off value? I keep reading that it should be place on the output RODI water line, but I was curious why not place the value between the water source and the RODI unit?
I have mine on the supply line and no issues.

It’s a normally closed solenoid so if there’s no
power, there is no water flow. But…when it first receives power, it acts as though you pressed the button and opens the solenoid if the sensor is open (no water detected). This means that you can you use it automatically by powering it up.

It’s a normally closed solenoid so if there’s no
power, there is no water flow. But…when it first receives power, it acts as though you pressed the button and opens the solenoid if the sensor is open (no water detected). This means that you can you use it automatically by powering it up.
This makes more sense now.

At a minimum it should be placed after the sediment filter. This is to prevent potential particulates from clogging or even seizing the solenoid valve. Depends on how dirty your source water is if it's risky or not.

At a minimum it should be placed after the sediment filter. This is to prevent potential particulates from clogging or even seizing the solenoid valve. Depends on how dirty your source water is if it's risky or not.
That makes sense, luckily I have 30 tds coming in so that’s probably why I’ve been fortunate enough for this solenoid to last so long. Now I think I’ll move it to after the sediment so thanks for that thought!

I vaguely recall some engineering reason to have RODI shutoff valves after the RO membrane but can’t remember why exactly. Something about maintaining pressure at the membrane maybe? Not sure. I know the auto shutoff valves in RODI systems have to be installed in specific locations relative to the RO membrane. I wouldn’t assume it is fine to put it someplace other than where the company recommends without asking the company first.

I vaguely recall some engineering reason to have RODI shutoff valves after the RO membrane but can’t remember why exactly. Something about maintaining pressure at the membrane maybe? Not sure. I know the auto shutoff valves in RODI systems have to be installed in specific locations relative to the RO membrane. I wouldn’t assume it is fine to put it someplace other than where the company recommends without asking the company first.
I'm guessing that possibly the water pressure is also lower after the membrane than before. If so this is better for the solenoid long term.

Back