Kessil

RO/DI is slowwww

My BRS 5 stage RO/DI filter is slow and I feel guilty about all the waste water being produced that I am starting to save it and water the grass with it. I use to fill up my 50 gallon drum in 1.5 days and now it's taking about 4 days! *smh*

I bought new filters and DI resin thinking that would help a few months ago but it didn't do much. I've probably created 4 (50 gallons) batches on the new filters.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would check your lines in the unit, maybe something got stuck. If the unit is fine, I would check the water pressure. If it is below 40psi you may want to introduce a booster pump.

Coral reefer said:
You replaced all prefilters and membrane?

All filters, including the DI resin. Negative on the membrane. I bought a restrictor valve to flush the membrane but didn't help. Can I take the membrane out and flush it with a hose?

sfboarders said:
Coral reefer said:

All filters, including the DI resin. Negative on the membrane. I bought a restrictor valve to flush the membrane but didn't help. Can I take the membrane out and flush it with a hose?

Chlorine will ruin the membrane so that would be a big no on rinsing the membrane.

A restrictor is for restricting the flow, not back flushing. Perhaps that is the issue right there?

BAYMAC said:
sfboarders said:
Coral reefer said:

Chlorine will ruin the membrane so that would be a big no on rinsing the membrane.

A restrictor is for restricting the flow, not back flushing. Perhaps that is the issue right there?

Didn't know the correct name. I have the membrane flush kit from BRS.

Then I agree with Mike, probably the membrane is impacted. Back-flushing is a preventative, not a reactive, measure and starting to do that after there has been a decrease in flow will not help really.

Coral reefer said:
How long have you had membrane. Sounds like the problem to me

Probably had it for 3 years. How long do they usually last? I have a 75GPD RO unit. Can I replace it with a 150GPD membrane so I can create RO water faster (assuming I have enough pressure)?

sfboarders said:
Coral reefer said:

Probably had it for 3 years. How long do they usually last? I have a 75GPD RO unit. Can I replace it with a 150GPD membrane so I can create RO water faster (assuming I have enough pressure)?
Depends on the gallons through the membrane. 3 years is a long time.
You can technically up the GPD, but you also have to change the flow restrictor to match.
Plus, you might be pushing the limits on carbon filter stage.
I would not really advise going beyond 75.

rygh said:
sfboarders said:
Coral reefer said:

Depends on the gallons through the membrane. 3 years is a long time.
You can technically up the GPD, but you also have to change the flow restrictor to match.
Plus, you might be pushing the limits on carbon filter stage.
I would not really advise going beyond 75.

I ordered a 75 GPD membrane from ebay. Same one that BRS offers but for $10 cheaper and free shipping. I'll let you know if that resolves my issue. Thanks everyone!

Well I put in a new membrane and its not much faster. Seems like the flow out of the membrane is still slow. The waste line from the membrane is still chugging along.

While a clogged flow restrictor certainly could be a general problem, it seems that at least
a partially clogged one would increase production, not decrease it.
At least until RODI clogs up, which would happen faster.
Totally clogged would be a different matter.

The idea : The flow restrictor is on the waste output, so clogging it increases pressure on the membrane,
which would thus increase production.

I have a guage you can borrow, but it goes on a garden hose fitting. (Union City)

Well I installed a gauge and the water before RO unit (water directly from the faucet) and it's getting 50psi. When I installed it between the filters and membrane it doesn't show any pressure. There's a good amount of flow coming after the filters but I'm guessing it's not strong enough.

I put a new sediment filter when I changed the membrane last week but that didn't help any. :(

EDIT: I removed the sediment and carbon filters and the pressure is 45psi right before the membrane.

sfboarders said:
Well I installed a gauge and the water before RO unit (water directly from the faucet) and it's getting 50psi. When I installed it between the filters and membrane it doesn't show any pressure. There's a good amount of flow coming after the filters but I'm guessing it's not strong enough.

I put a new sediment filter when I changed the membrane last week but that didn't help any. :(

EDIT: I removed the sediment and carbon filters and the pressure is 45psi right before the membrane.

How odd.
New filters should not be all clogged up.
Hard to install wrong such that it would clog.
Did you leave the plastic wrap on the filter accidentally?

Back