Kessil

Rubyo 65 gal tank Journal

Unable to get phosphate at this time new test kit coming in this weekend.
Nitrates are zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure nitrate is zero?
Let's hope your po4 is not high. Zeroing po4 or no3 is not preferable
Zeroing po4 while no3 is high will bring cyano

Are you sure nitrate is zero?
Let's hope your po4 is not high. Zeroing po4 or no3 is not preferable
Zeroing po4 while no3 is high will bring cyano

I just retested and it is slightly above zero
Reading 02 is that still low any suggestions to remedy this situation.

Is that right? I thought cyano likes phosphate ?
In my experience once I drop po4 alot, cyano immediately appear. I bring po4 up a bit it disappear. I now never care about cyano, whenever it appear I just turn off my po4 remover reactor assuming I am having too low po4, and indeed it go away..
This applies to systems that have above 0.5 or 1ppm no3 btw. With lower no3 I think issues are diffrent, but problematic nevertheless.

In my experience once I drop po4 alot, cyano immediately appear. I bring po4 up a bit it disappear. I now never care about cyano, whenever it appear I just turn off my po4 remover reactor assuming I am having too low po4, and indeed it go away..
This applies to systems that have above 0.5 or 1ppm no3 btw. With lower no3 I think issues are diffrent, but problematic nevertheless.

I don’t have cyano nor seen it yet, I am overstocked on chato and need to get some out.
Do you think that can throw off nitrates.
If it’s low what are your thoughts on adding nitrates like b-ionic nitrates?

Interesting. When I see cyano I usually add gfo assuming phosphates are too high.
Yes I think it depend on the values of the no3 and po4, diffrent scenarios can occur.
If po4 is high and cyano is present, go can treat this and reduce cyano.
But if you drop po4 so low, while no3 is high cyano tend to thrive as well.
Once I posted a video from dr. Tim, I remember I added an index for topics locations in the video (minutes marks) talking about this phenomena and he explained it. Will try to dig it up.

I don’t have cyano nor seen it yet, I am overstocked on chato and need to get some out.
Do you think that can throw off nitrates.
If it’s low what are your thoughts on adding nitrates like b-ionic nitrates?

Do not worry about my comment it was generic. If you do not have cyano you do not need to worry. Just understand that zeroing nutrients is not a good thing. That's the meta point that I was attempting to make..
Very common when reefers think their po4 is zero it end up being test kit issue. Dropping po4 to zero require aggressive po4 removing action like rowphse overdose.
If you have stocked tank, you feed you have fish. It's not easy to drop your po4 to true zero.
I am against any artificial no3 and po4 addition. The concept is insane to. These stuff appeared with dino topics and all the craziness of treating dino. So far I have yet to see someone who had a long term success with such additives.. who do these stuff, they swear of it, then disappear, if you follow up with them u realize dino came back...
Do not add such additives. If your system is looking good leave it alone.
Get good test kits and measure following instructions to the letter.
Keep up good husbandry and water changes.
React based on what you are trying to fix, and fix based on how your coral are looking.
Do not just chase numbers just because someone said so..Choose the system you want to run, maintain nutrients level within the commonly accepted levels and let the coral look and health guide you.

Last edited:
Yes I think it depend on the values of the no3 and po4, diffrent scenarios can occur.
If po4 is high and cyano is present, go can treat this and reduce cyano.
But if you drop po4 so low, while no3 is high cyano tend to thrive as well.
Once I posted a video from dr. Tim, I remember I added an index for topics locations in the video (minutes marks) talking about this phenomena and he explained it. Will try to dig it up.
Makes sense that it will outcompete when conditions are right for it. I just never thought of that as one of the ones it likes.

Makes sense that it will outcompete when conditions are right for it. I just never thought of that as one of the ones it likes.
I think its all about the carbon and if your system is carbon deficient or not..
Btw what I see in my system is common..meaning when running ULN once po4 aggressively dropped cyano appears. In zeovit forums it's common observation.
Not 100% sure, this is personal observation of my specific system.

I think its all about the carbon and if your system is carbon deficient or not..
Btw what I see in my system is common..meaning when running ULN once po4 aggressively dropped cyano appears. In zeovit forums it's common observation.
Not 100% sure, this is personal observation of my specific system.
I certainly don’t run uln systems, so good to know

I certainly don’t run uln systems, so good to know
It's not about carbon dosing per say. We are all dosing carbon one way or another otherwise coral and bio filtration would not thrive.
I found the video I referenced earlier. Really fun video to watch. See the last 5 min.

Basically cyano have a unique ability to observe nitrogen from air, while green algae cannot.
So couple conditions can give the edge to cyano to over come other beneficiary algae and thrive.
When no3 is too low, and po4 is too low, nitrifcation reduced, other algae in the tank slow down which leave the room for cyano to thrive since it can absorb nitrogen from air..
That's why cyano pop when you are dealing with very low nuteient levels or when you zero out one..
Zeroing no3 is not common especially on established systems where you have to feed..but zeroing po4 can be done with the po4 remover media usage. Am guessing that's why with ULN systems, it's more prone to drop their po4 to zero when using po4 removers since it's already low...

That is also why, it usually not recommended to use gfo or po4 removers when using systems like zeovit where the carbon dosing is creating ULN conditions..

Green slimmer growing good.
Just started using Red Sea AB+
and I’m see the colors are improving.
Working on balancing my nutrients and getting closer every few days.
Turned off bio pellet reactor and GFO
And doing better
1c2bf3ca24464918da55db83438ec55e.jpg

Green slimmer growing good.
Just started using Red Sea AB+
and I’m see the colors are improving.
Working on balancing my nutrients and getting closer every few days.
Turned off bio pellet reactor and GFO
And doing better
1c2bf3ca24464918da55db83438ec55e.jpg

I’ve been using Red Sea AB+ as well. I noticed my rainbow Trachyphellia really colored up. Amazing product

I’ve been using Red Sea AB+ as well. I noticed my rainbow Trachyphellia really colored up. Amazing product

After you posted I thought, this stuff is on a introduction price 12.99 I better get over to AC and buy a few more. In the fridge and stocked up for the next 3-4 months

Back