got ethical husbandry?

Sacramento LFS Recommendations?

Hello BAR,

I have to be in Woodland either Saturday or Sunday, but am completely unfamiliar with the territory. Any recommendations for good reef shops in the Sacramento area? I like SPS, shrooms, & fish. Your help is much appreciated, thank you.

Argh I really want to set up an a local fish store tour to Sacramento.

I recommend the following stores:

Aqua Life
4235 Pacific St #B
Rocklin, CA 95677

Jill and I went there. It was very impressive! They have a nice selection of named/nice looking coral if you collect. They also have the cheap bread/butter stuff too. Nice selection of healthy fish and a decent size store. The LPS Display tank is NICE. They have a truly one-of-a-kind torch coral. Check it out.

I've also heard great things about Your Reef. I plan on visiting this store one day.

Your Reef
199 Cirby Way
Roseville, CA 95678

Really nice acros/zoas.

Those are probably the best reef stores in the Sacramento Area.

There are a couple others but not so great. Aquarium Depot, Aqua Works All you gotta do is go to gooelmaps and seach Aquarium

Last edited:
Thanks Turtle. I ended up going to Your Reef, Aquarium Depot, and Aqua Life.

I met John (the owner?) at Your Reef -- nice guy -- and took home some frags. Even though I was looking for fish, he had some nice zoas and palys, and I couldn't resist the buy 3 get 1 free special. He has some old school SPS stockpiled at home, so I might just have to do a follow-up.

I didn't have much time after that, so took a quick look at the other two locations right before closing time. Which torch coral @ AL did you mean, the gold one?

Just saw this but looks like you got to the three I would recommend. How was aqua life's coral selection now? I've been meaning to visit them again just haven't made it in a while as their another 20-30min past the other two and usually by the time we've made it that far, mostly on crappy bumpy 99, I'm just ready to get what I need and go lol.

Aqua Life was nice dude.

They had frags of Rainbow Maul/Emerald Maul Zoas in their LPS display. :drool:

I picked up frags of Space Monsters/Rainbow Rhino zoas from there.

Jill picked up like a 10 polyp frag of these nice unnamed wild zoas for 5$

Fish selection was decent too.

Wanted to visit Your Reef but most of the Sac stores were closed when we got there. Jill and I had just gotten done camping and was in Sacramento around like 5 on sunday.

YR closes @ 6, while AD (two miles from YR) and AL close @ 7.

Aquarium depot is huge, I think the space used to be a small supermarket. Small frag tank had some nice colors, and I picked up a piece, but most of the store was dedicated to freshwater. I was in a time crunch and only spent 10 minutes in the store; otherwise, I would've looked at the health of their Amazon fishes. Good empty aquarium selection, but I was most impressed by the friendly customer service. An employee sought me out within one minute of wandering the aisles, and gave me a good price on the frag. A solid beginner - intermediate hobbyist store.

Yes, I remember the green torch. Pretty LPS but those sweeper tentacles at night conduct wicked chemical warfare.

AL had a large Acan frag selection, but their frag pricing overall was too high, not my cup of tea. However, my biggest gripe was that the frag tanks & DT were under blue LEDs. The lights might've been winding down near closing time, but when I asked the coral guy to turn the white lights on the main display tank, he shone a blue LED flashlight on the stuff I was inquiring about. I had to ask three times to get the regular lights turned on. My home tanks are lit 14K - 20K, I hate shopping for stuff lit under Royal Blues because that's not how it will look in my system -- a blue tank looks unnatural to me.

I was tempted by their large Space Monsters palys (?) @ $20 per polyp, but that's the only thing that caught my eye, the rest was meh. The fish selection was good, but not geared towards smaller tanks. Crustaceans were rather sparse. The SPS tanks were unimpressive, the acros were 4" sticks with nary a mature colony in sight. Better labels would've helped.

Their dry goods selection was good, I grabbed a single use packet of CoralRx for $3. The freshwater selection was tiny, but had interesting variety. General animal husbandry was good, but they need to clean up the two reef display tanks because they presently look like afterthoughts. That to me is a huge red flag, remember the DT at Atlantis Aquarium before they shut down?

On that particular day, Your Reef had the best selection & prices.

Back