Neptune Aquatics

Salt water feels so gooood!!!

Ha! Just a little dig with the hood/booties comment. I know that anyone who has the balls to surf year round up here is less than weak.

As for the death by longboard comment...ya gotta respect your roots, right?

I guess I'm just old school. (although I'm only 28, it was engrained upon me by my dad who surfed 5 days a week until he was 60).

I'm a noob at surfing. I started about 8 months ago. I have my own wetsuit a 4/3 ripcurl, and I use booties.
Don't have my own board yet. Been using my friend's 6'4 Freeline Fish. I don't really know much about surfboards, so I'm unsure when I'll get my own board. I don't even know what shape is good yet... But overall I would say it's pretty fun.

I believe they're all CAD now and rough sanded, very few shapers actually shape anymore aside from tweaking dimensions for their team riders, it's a dying art.

I started shaping due to not being able to get a semi/full gun for someone my size (at that time I was 120lbs soaking wet), and all of the shapers I talked to wanted to make my boards too thick (over 2" I needed 1 7/8") for me to duckdive large HMB beachbreak that sucks up like a reef slab. I decided it wouldn't be to hard to make my own and for the most part I was correct, of course being friends with the likes of Jeff Clark, Randy Cone and a few other local shapers doesn't hurt :D

Yeah, it would help to know those guys, thats for sure.

Is Haut (Matt or Doug) still shaping, or are they CAD as well?

My Dad started shaping out of necessity as well. He grew up in Guam in the early 60s (Navy brat) and all they could ever get were pop-outs.

One guy brought a Bing and a Weber back from the mainland and they began to copy the shapes and tweaking them to their own specs.

I made it as far as doing my own ding repairs, but thats about it.

The board was "signed' by John Mel, but then again I don't know if that has any significance. Is there such a board that can act as a quiver killer for a beginnerish rider? I can stand, and I can turn and go down the wave on the fish, but it's so bulky that I can't really do any more than that... Or maybe I just lack skills.

seedub said:
My Dad started shaping out of necessity as well. He grew up in Guam in the early 60s (Navy brat) and all they could ever get were pop-outs.

Any chance you or your dad know a guy by the name of Tom Steukert? He was a navy brat in Guam in the 60s and surfed there.

Jombo said:
The board was "signed' by John Mel, but then again I don't know if that has any significance. Is there such a board that can act as a quiver killer for a beginnerish rider? I can stand, and I can turn and go down the wave on the fish, but it's so bulky that I can't really do any more than that... Or maybe I just lack skills.

Shapers sign their boards sign their boards regardlass if they are CAD or not, also CAD isn't a bad thing you can get great boards that way.

AFA quiver killers, ride as many different boards as you can (borrow ;) ) and see what works for you. Fish tend to be more drivey off the front foot, they have a real straight rail and tend not to perform real well on bowly barreling waves. Due to the straight nature of the rail and relaxed rocker they want a flatter faced (Linda Mar type) wave, or sectiony wind swell where you can skate from section to section. You may find that a "big guy tri" with a light concave to deep V will allow you to step up your surfing to the point where you can surf a performance board with ease.

tuberider said:
I decided it wouldn't be to hard to make my own and for the most part I was correct, of course being friends with the likes of Jeff Clark, Randy Cone and a few other local shapers doesn't hurt :D

Hmmm, who are they? I've never heard of them :p Jeremy are you a Mavs surfer? I bet you have a big wave gun in that quiver of yours. 8)

No way are you kidding me? :D I was at *** **** when mavs was going off and paddled over with a friend who surfs it and was happy to play shark bait in the channel. You get out there and it's a whole different game, shifting and jacking up all over the place, I'll stick to places that make me feel like a hero like *** **** :D

Those guys like me because I'm funny :D that's all, I surf for fun, the ocean and its unpredictability are enough for me. Otherwise if I see a section that needs to be clipped off at the top and have the feeling of the fins free from the pesky water I'm on it.

tuberider said:
seedub said:

Any chance you or your dad know a guy by the name of Tom Steukert? He was a navy brat in Guam in the 60s and surfed there.

Just asked him, he said it rang a bell, but he couldn't put a face with it.

My Dad was there from 64-67.

How do you know Tom? Is he local? My Dad was interested in possibly contacting him, just for grins and to remember the good ole days of Guam.

He was my boss 10 years or so ago at a music/video store I had a p/t job at. He now manages Union Grove Music in Santa Cruz, he's super cool, and I think the timeline sounds about right IIRC.

Back