High Tide Aquatics

(Santa Cruz pickup) Soft corals and anemone

We have many soft corals, chaeto, and anemone in our community tank that we want to give away. Please DM us for pickup arrangements

20240506_151720.jpg
20240506_151710.jpg
20240506_151706.jpg
20240506_151702.jpg
20240506_151657.jpg

Just a heads up I think that might be a majano anemone (an annoying pest). The palythoa look very much like captain jerks as well and are highly toxic. Really suggest you read up on palytoxin poisoning before cutting or handling them.
Agree.

With the angle and lighting it looks like one to me as well in the picture you posted of it. Maybe try a different angle with another picture. Just to point out @Darkxerox said, " it might be a majano"

I also would suggest you be very careful of those captian jerks palythoas very dangerous and in my opinion they are nothing you should want in your tank let alone pass on to someone else. They have great potential for being fatal/ causing extreme sickness. Please get rid if them safely and don't pass them on to someone else. (No offense intended)

With the angle and lighting it looks like one to me as well in the picture you posted of it. Maybe try a different angle with another picture. Just to point out @Darkxerox said, " it might be a majano"

I also would suggest you be very careful of those captian jerks palythoas very dangerous and in my opinion they are nothing you should want in your tank let alone pass on to someone else. They have great potential for being fatal/ causing extreme sickness. Please get rid if them safely and don't pass them on to someone else. (No offense intended)
Thanks for the helpful advice. It was given out at a swap event before the current ban. The question I have is how to get rid of them safely, should I use the gloves, carefully remove them from the tank, and just let it sit outside for a couple of weeks before they're considered dead? I'm aware of the vapor they might produce so I'm not going to leave them indoor.

Thanks for the helpful advice. It was given out at a swap event before the current ban. The question I have is how to get rid of them safely, should I use the gloves, carefully remove them from the tank, and just let it sit outside for a couple of weeks before they're considered dead? I'm aware of the vapor they might produce so I'm not going to leave them indoor.
I would say definitely don't put them outside as animals could get to them. I saw someone said tripple bag them. Don't try to try scrape/cut and absolutely don't bake/ boil them. If they are on a rock it's probably safer just to get rid of the entire rock.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge can give you better advice on how to safely remove them @Srt4eric @Darkxerox @IOnceWasLegend

Bleach them.

“Palytoxin can be neutralized by soaking the coral for 30 minutes in a ≥0.1% household bleach solution (1 part 5%–6% sodium hypochlorite [household bleach] to 10 parts water, prepared fresh) (8). Contaminated items should be soaked in diluted bleach before disposal (3).”

Seconding this. Plus you can do a stronger bleach solution and simultaneously cure the rock to sell/give it away.

The second pic is the original anemone, then it gave rise to the first pic. The first pic then divided recently giving rise to the third pic. All of them from the same species

Thanks for the extra pictures, they do look like bubble tip anemones. Again, I highly recommend creating a tank journal because we have to infer a lot of background from just one photo and can't look at a thread that contains past information.

Please act safely regarding the palythoa. We can't stress this enough for the safety of yourself and those at your center. It can be aerosolized while handling so please do any handling or disposal with an N95 on and outside as well. It's toxic when when dead or dried too. https://masna.org/masna-education/palytoxin/

Also please consider becoming a supporting member since there are far more people here willing to support you too once you do so. Thank you.

Back