Cali Kid Corals

SCA tank reviews

richiev

Supporting Member
I was getting close to pulling the trigger on a tank (post) from CDA, but then I started adding the cost of the wood wrap and realized it didn't come with a sump or plumbing and the numbers started getting out of control. It's still on the table, but I started researching more.

One place I found was SCA which is based out of CA. The pics I've seen so far look good, and the prices seem very cheap.

Here's the 48x24x24 with Starfire glass, eurobraced, stand, delivered for around $2200:
http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-120-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-120g-go.htm The stand isn't a work of art, but I like it more than the modern ones.

Very cheap scares me. Is anyone familiar with this brand? Also the glass is 12mm, does that mean anything?

From my experience on a 150g external: the eurobrace is recessed...meaning it's lowered..not flush. I guess this was made to accommodate a screen. However, with screen on top of that, it's a hassle to remove the screen. For lights, you'll need a rail or arms that to attach to stand due to eurobrace. The glass is more green than blue (it's not starfire) .
You'll need to buy external overflow plus other plumbings as you mentioned. paint the back black, 12mm glass is too thin, bad for seam in the long run. IMO 24" is too high unless you have elastic arms.
I'd rather make my own stand or buy a TV cabinet and convert it to a stand.

I went with a Nuvo 100g Ext rimless. Although the glass isn't as blue as my Nuvo 50g, I'm still happy with it.

From my experience on a 150g external: the eurobrace is recessed...meaning it's lowered..not flush. I guess this was made to accommodate a screen. However, with screen on top of that, it's a hassle to remove the screen. For lights, you'll need a rail or arms that to attach to stand due to eurobrace. The glass is more green than blue (it's not starfire) .
You'll need to buy external overflow plus other plumbings as you mentioned. paint the back black, 12mm glass is too thin, bad for seam in the long run. IMO 24" is too high unless you have elastic arms.
I'd rather make my own stand or buy a TV cabinet and convert it to a stand.

I went with a Nuvo 100g Ext rimless. Although the glass isn't as blue as my Nuvo 50g, I'm still happy with it.
I think the crystal dynamics aquariums might also be a similar'ish style brace. Partially on top, partially inside. Do you have a pic of yours? Your glass comment makes me a bit concerned...

That fact that I'm looking for a peninsula is cutting the options. I looked at the nuvos, but their peninsulas are ginormous.

My friend bought a SCA peninsula tank with dimensions of 60x24x24 drilled for a Shadow V2 overflow. The quality looks pretty good. The glass is low iron and clear, not green at all, but not as blue as CDA either.

As Popper mentioned the eurobrace on top is recessed about 1/2" lower than the rim of the tank vs CDA the eurobrace which is either flush or sitting on top of the rim.

12mm is pretty close to 1/2" so I don't not too much difference.

SCA used to use laminated MDF for their stands, are they using real wood stands now?

My friend bought a SCA peninsula tank with dimensions of 60x24x24 drilled for a Shadow V2 overflow. The quality looks pretty good. The glass is low iron and clear, not green at all, but not as blue as CDA either.

As Popper mentioned the eurobrace on top is recessed about 1/2" lower than the rim of the tank vs CDA the eurobrace which is either flush or sitting on top of the rim.

12mm is pretty close to 1/2" so I don't not too much difference.

SCA used to use laminated MDF for their stands, are they using real wood stands now?
I'm unsure on the stand material. It seems like the default is MDF and you might be able to get wood.

Do you know who your friend got his stand from? I just emailed SCA and he said they don't have any peninsula stands.

Also, SCA is an impossible acronym to search for on forums because of the 4 letter minimum search criteria.

@grizfyrfyter (and others) any chance I can see a pic? Also if anyone's near Redwood City, any chance I could see one in person?

My friend is not really using it as a peninsula since it's up against a wall, he only wanted the option to use it as a peninsula in the future. He is currently using a wooden Oceanic stand he bought from All About Fish just before they closed. He's located in Martinez, I'll ask him if he's willing to have you come over to take a look.

I'm unsure on the stand material. It seems like the default is MDF and you might be able to get wood.

Do you know who your friend got his stand from? I just emailed SCA and he said they don't have any peninsula stands.

Also, SCA is an impossible acronym to search for on forums because of the 4 letter minimum search criteria.

@grizfyrfyter (and others) any chance I can see a pic? Also if anyone's near Redwood City, any chance I could see one in person?
I'll take pics when I get home. What specifically do you want to see?

I'll take pics when I get home. What specifically do you want to see?
I'm interested generally, but I'd be specifically interested in what the top euro bracing looks like, the silicone seams, and maybe something of the stand if you have their stand.

Would you buy another one?

I have a stand built from aluminum extrusion, I don't know who built it. It came with the tank.

I got the tank for free but based on the how it looks after years of use, I wouldn't blink at buying one if I was shopping for new.

I’ve seen several sca tanks. It is starfire, not starphire. Low iron yes, brand name no. Overflow boxes are glass covered in acrylic, a little weird, but function fine. Build quality seems fine.
Overall I think they are just fine.

Opinions:
Brand name glass is not that critical. Cheap low-iron vs true Starphire is about the same.
Build quality is always hard to predict. Depends on the person doing it that day.
Supposedly SCA has some problems with customer support. If things do go wrong, difficult to get resolved.
Price does not seem that different. 100G tank, CDA=$1350, SCA=$1195

My suggestion:
Talk to a reputable LFS on their opinion, and buy it through them instead of direct.
There is usually minimal or zero markup, and if something goes wrong they can be a huge help.

Opinions:
Brand name glass is not that critical. Cheap low-iron vs true Starphire is about the same.
Build quality is always hard to predict. Depends on the person doing it that day.
Supposedly SCA has some problems with customer support. If things do go wrong, difficult to get resolved.
Price does not seem that different. 100G tank, CDA=$1350, SCA=$1195

My suggestion:
Talk to a reputable LFS on their opinion, and buy it through them instead of direct.
There is usually minimal or zero markup, and if something goes wrong they can be a huge help.
On the price part...

120G tank:
* CDA base: $1845 -- https://cdaquarium.com/collections/...quarium-only-price-list?variant=9948141420591
* CDA with Starfire: $2125
* CDA with Starfire and configured for external overflow (not included) and converted to peninsula: $2515

* SCA: external overflow (overflow itself not included), low iron $1195 -- http://www.scaquariums.com/SCA-120-Gallon-Starfire-Tank-p/sca-120g-go.htm
* SCA above + peninsula: $1495

The Delivery is $40 for SCA versus $180 for CDA

Not quite half the price, but close.

The stands are a whole nother ball game. CDA stand would be around $2500. SCA would be around $900. CDA's metal stands seem nice, but oye.

On the LFS, if you order the CDA through the LFS you add 30% to those numbers. Still good to support LFS, but a significant difference at these total costs.

That's a lot of difference overall. Somewhere around 2:1 to 3:1. I'd probably be looking at it differently if it was closer, but considering all the options given the big disparity.

Last edited:
20220328_195202.jpg
20220328_195212.jpg

Have you checked out waterbox? Unfortunately they don't have one exactly in the size you're looking for, but I think they have a 60x25x24 or a 48x20x22

My friend’s tank. Packaging was sketchy. I was surprised it came in one piece. Lol.

View attachment 36788

View attachment 36789

View attachment 36790

View attachment 36791

View attachment 36805
That's a combination of haha and niiice.

Do you know which overflow that is? That looks great, props to him.

Beyond that, I still have a bunch of questions and thinking to do, but I'll leave that for my peninsula build thread and leave this one for SCA pics if anyone else has them.

My takeaway so far is they're at least passable, and I should still do my research. CDA (or just going for a stock Reefer) is certainly the more proven, "when it explodes all over my floor someone will respond" bet.

Back