Kessil

Science Classroom 75 gallon Mixed Reef

SutterM78

Supporting Member
So, I decided to start a tank log. I have had this reef tank in my classroom for 5 years. Four times I have had to break the tank down, move it, and set it up again. This year I changed to a new school. Hopefully I have moved this tank for the last time! I also had a 75gal reef tank at home. I have been thinking about breaking that one down for a while. Two reef tanks are too much work given my job and health. First image is the reef after the move from one school to my current school. Fairly simple setup. Reef Octopus HOB skimmer, Aquaclear 100 mechanical filter, Jebao power head, BRS dual media reactor with GFO & Carbon, T5 lighting.
IMG_6283.jpeg

A couple of months ago I finally started the combination of my home tank with the school tank. Here is how it turned out after the rock move…
IMG_6358.jpeg

Next step was to build a frame to move my ReefLED 90s from my home tank. The frame looks large. But, it’s part of a bigger scheme to build some concealing panels around the tank.
IMG_6560.jpeg

But, the light frame will have to be adjusted now. I took advantage of some Black Friday deals and spent way too much money on this tank. I’m building a sump system which should be up and running this weekend. I decided to go with the Red Sea ecosystem. With the sump build I’m adding a CPF HOB overflow box, Reefmat fleece roll system, Reefer DC Skimmer 300, ReefATO+, ReefDose 4, ReefRun 5500 DC return pump, and Innovative Marine Helio 500w heater. I am building the sump from an Aqueon 55 gallon aquarium and FijiCube baffle set. Build pics to come! Hoping for greater stability and a slightly more automated chemistry maintenance regimen.

It familiar with that overflow box, but I would always prefer to drill the tank and “do it right” than have a hob for piece of kind. Happy to help drill if you need it

It familiar with that overflow box, but I would always prefer to drill the tank and “do it right” than have a hob for piece of kind. Happy to help drill if you need it
I considered that. But, I am SUPER nervous about trying to drill tempered glass in a running aquarium

Finally got my sump running this weekend! Can’t seem to get a stable water volume in the return chamber. So, the ATO is basically ornamental right not. Going to try lower pump settings throughout the week. The reefmat is gurgling air bubbles. I suspect it’s from the design of the CPR overflow box?
IMG_6683.jpeg
IMG_6684.jpeg
IMG_6686.jpeg
IMG_6687.jpeg

careful with those baffles when filling/emptying over time. I've had them blow out without bracing.

If you need help, I'm local and have a few decades under my belt with this.

Back