Jestersix

Screen/mesh top for tank

There was a thread started my chicken a couple threads down regarding screen covers for our reef tanks.
I definitely want to be as proactive about things as possible :D
I've seen some pretty nice and clean looking screen covers people make for their tanks, to [in the words of xcaret :) ] prevent fish from trying to evolve into land critters :| The screen tops I've seen look as though they are DIY. They're really nice because not only do that keep fish in, but it seems they block minimal light from punching into the tank, which is important for me. If they are indeed DIY, I was wondering if someone would mind sharing how to make one. If you could also make mention as to what supplies you use, and where you got them, that would be helpful as well.
Like always, much thanks! ;)

...yup that's the one !!

You will find the stuff needed at HD, Lowes and maybe the local ACE Hardware, my tank is a bowfront and won't even try making one of those but when I finally make the switch I will make one.
I think they sell the mesh in white too.
I had a Lawnmower Blenny very convinced it could walk...

I was asking if anyone had excess, seeing as how they come in large portions and most people don't need that much, thanks for the link though, it helps price out pieces.

I just implemented a mesh top tonight. PVC pipe and monofilament mesh. Very basic. Last week I went out into the fishroom to do some laundry after lights out and one of my chrysopterus flew across the garage, into my fridge (a good 5 feet), and onto the cold garage floor. First thing I did next day when I sat down at my desk was to order some mesh!
Dark now but I'll take a pic tomorrow.

I was at Home Depot looking at screen over the weekend. I think they called it bird net or something like that. It's out in the garden section by the weed and shade cloth. It was something like $7 or $8 for a big roll of the stuff. Not very expensive at all. I've got to make one soon myself.

~Charlie

Back