got ethical husbandry?

Sedra 5000

patchin

Supporting Member
Had a power outage yesterday and last night noticed that my skimmer wasn't working. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it wouldn't start back up. I'm assuming it's dead, but is there anything I can try to get it going? If not, where's the best place to buy one? Or does anyone have an extra? Or another decent skimmer that would be good for around 75 ga? TIA
Steve

That happened to me recently. Might have too much calcium buildup.

Take the pump out and unscrew the inlet cover. See if you can pull out the impeller assembly.

Soak the whole business in some vinegar and water until its clean, then reassemble and run it for a while in the vinegar/water.

I think you will get different schools of thought that will tell you to use anywhere between 1-1 vinegar with water solution to 10-1, I think some people even use it straight.

I will tell you that my experience is that stronger is usually quicker (though it doesn't always mean better). When I have more time I uses a little more diluted solution. I recently bought a back up Mag 7 just so I don't have to take one off line very long if I need to clean it.

I lost 2 skimmers recently, more specifically the pumps. One was in the strip fire/burn, I'm unsure why the pump no longer works, everything seems fine but who knows, maybe it's an electrical short that did it in. The other was a smaller sedra pump (2500? I'm guessing btw), and apparently the impeller magnet bulged outward, so the pump is useless unless I buy another impeller (one thing you should try, sometimes its not calcium magnets do pop outward).

My current medium price skimmer is an ASM g3, and I'm having issues with this too, the pump itself is fine, but for some -unknown to me- reason the summabooger keeps overflowing, I have a gate valve on it as well, dial it back so bubbles are really low, and even then something happens over night, and the skimmer overflows then goes back to regular levels, like something caused it to go whacky.. who knows maybe I'm getting spawning events every night. So I really don't know what the hell is causing it, or how to fix it at this point.

But one tank is skimmerless until I can find a replacement pump, at this point I'll probably do any ol' powerhead with a venturi valve, although I would like to reuse the needle wheel impeller it has, but it is my softie tank so it probably will be ok for a while. And the other tank might as well be skimmerless because the sucker keeps overflowing, and any gunk that does built up in the cup will end up spilling back into the tank.

Magnets typically "pop" out due to calcium build up creating more friction Mike :) Or they get comprised and rust inside out. With Sedras it's usually calcium though.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ASM

If your impeller busted just buy a new impeller. I have a 5000 body if anyone like. I never tested it but it looks clean.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2887.msg30640#msg30640 date=1200773172]
Magnets typically "pop" out due to calcium build up creating more friction Mike :) Or they get comprised and rust inside out. With Sedras it's usually calcium though.
[/quote]
Yeah I realize that, however prying the magnet out, there didn't look to be any precipitation on it or anything else, it may have just stalled, there apparently were power outages around this area I hear :), and in the course of my 11 day trip to Hawaii became another casualty in staying away from the tank for that long.

Back