got ethical husbandry?

Sedra Pump Impeller Jammed

Hello - Decided to clean out the Sedra 3500 pump to my ER Skimmer during a water change. This time...when turning off the power..there was big intake of water. When I removed the cap, the impeller was frozen/jammed in the pump. I tried pliers and still cannot remove the impeller nor is the pump functioning with power. Has this happened to anyone else and any tips on how to remove? I don't want to exert enough force to crack the pump casing....but the impeller is really jammed in there. Is the pump a goner? Thank you. Doug

When I replaced my sedra 5000 on my 8-2 with an Eheim it resulted in a spare 5000 pump.

You can try to soak the pump in a vinegar solution to melt away any calcium deposits that would cause it to jam up.

There is one place that sells sedra needle wheel impellers assuming you can get the jammed impeller out. I can't think of the place now sorry.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ASM

thereefstop.com used to sell parts too but I don't see it on their website any more.

I have a 5000 body if you are interested ;D ..

Yeah, impeller is basically a magnet, more than one magnet, it's covered in an epoxy or something to hold it together, if it somehow weakens due to heat it bulges outward and poof that impeller is gone, usually you can yank out the impeller with enough force and the motor is still good, just an impeller replacement.

Thanks Mike. I'll see if I can pry it out. Anyone have a 5000 impeller for test purposes on a Sedra 5000? I will return after testing the pump. Thanks.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=2587.msg26859#msg26859 date=1195172151]
you can have it for $25 8)
[/quote]

Or if you put something nice in the DBTC, you can have it for free ;D ..

LOL - You guys are funny! ;D My stuff is pretty common so not much to offer for the DBTC. Phong - I'll get back to you on the 5000. I'm gonna take a few whacks on the 3500 this weekend.

Back