High Tide Aquatics

Seeking advice on water parameters

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
Hey guys, just got the Red sea reef foundation pro kit. I tested my water and these are my results. Any advice on what I can improve or need to fix. Cheers
Salinity- 1.026
Kh- 9.8
Ca- 515
Mg-1320
Dkh- 8
ph- 7.8
Ammonia- 0.25
Nitrite- 0.25
Nitrate- 5.0

Attachments

• IMG_6865.jpeg
    IMG_6865.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 24
1. Not sure why you have ammonia. Maybe it’s the test kit. Others can chime in.
2. If you’re dosing ca, I suggest you stop for a few days and check ca again. Above 500 is a tad high.

Otherwise, looks ok to me

I believe you already have clowns in the tank, so assuming it’s cycled. That ammonia reading is almost certainly zero (or close to it). I wouldn’t bother testing ammonia. I wouldn’t bother testing nitrite, either.

Your parameters seem fine - just get into a nice water change routine with your tank (25g yes?) and let things cruise for a while. Good on you for testing, but there isn’t much happening in your tank yet that is worth actioning, IMO.

What I would do at 1 month in with a small tank: Work on keeping your salinity and temp relatively stable, feed your fish, do water changes, and throw a couple cheap coral in there occasionally.

The API ammonia kit always looks like it reads above zero when actually zero, IME.
I have not test ammonia once I cycled my tank. Maybe I should just for the fun of it. I think is still have the test kit , although it’s a few years old. It will be funny if ammonia reading is high.

I believe you already have clowns in the tank, so assuming it’s cycled. That ammonia reading is almost certainly zero (or close to it). I wouldn’t bother testing ammonia. I wouldn’t bother testing nitrite, either.

Your parameters seem fine - just get into a nice water change routine with your tank (25g yes?) and let things cruise for a while. Good on you for testing, but there isn’t much happening in your tank yet that is worth actioning, IMO.

What I would do at 1 month in with a small tank: Work on keeping your salinity and temp relatively stable, feed your fish, do water changes, and throw a couple cheap coral in there occasionally.
Appreciate the info thank you! Ill keep that in mind for ammonia and nitrite.

1. Not sure why you have ammonia. Maybe it’s the test kit. Others can chime in.
2. If you’re dosing ca, I suggest you stop for a few days and check ca again. Above 500 is a tad high.

Otherwise, looks ok to me
Haven’t been dosing CA, this is my first time checking. Whats the best way to bring it down?

Haven’t been dosing CA, this is my first time checking. Whats the best way to bring it down?
I won’t worry about it. Not sure what’s salt you’re using . IO Reef Crystal? If you’re really concern ( I would not) you can test the fresh saltwater.

Back