Jestersix

Selcon and Zoecon

Has anyone had any experience using selcon (or Zoecon- I take it they're the same?)? I am considering soaking fish food in it prior to feeding to help up the nutritional value of some of the foods I am feeding, but more particularly frozen cyclops and frozen brine shrimp, as these are what some of my fish are eating.
Thanks!

Hi Anthony,

I am soaking BBS in Selcon for the baby Bangaii. They look like they have grown already! :) Their tummies are always really fat, so they like the stuff!

I've been trying crushed flake and crushed cyclopeeze wafers, but so far they spit it out. :(

Sherri, good to hear all is well with your babies. You will probably see me starting threads about things somewhat relating to the Bangaii's :) I've got mine on frozen cyclops right now. When I feed them cyclops, it is like Bangaii's gon wild :) Yesterday they all ate frozen brine shrimp, and I am hoping they continue to! I am soaking all of my food prior to feeding. This weekend I will try and pick up some frozen cyclopeeze (I think it is better than the freeze dried stuff?) and get them on to that. Cyclopeeze has a lot of protein IIRC ... protein is also the reason I am searching for prawn eggs ;D

Did you feed them BBS or regular sized BS? I think the frozen cyclopeeze will be more palatable to them. They eat the dry stuff, so they know it's food, but then spit it out. Maybe they don't like the texture.

I also shaved some mysis for them with a fine grater. That was a hit or miss. They ate some, but would spit some too.

I fed them frozen brine shrimp by Hikari -I think it is artemia, maybe even a mix of nauplii and artemia.
They only ate it once, but I am hoping they eat it when I feed it to them later tonight.

I am going to swing by Ocean Treasures this weekend ... I think they may have it in cubes. I surely do not want a brick of cyclopeeze :)

[quote author=Lyn link=topic=6974.msg90616#msg90616 date=1237538327]
Hi Anthony,

I am soaking BBS in Selcon for the baby Bangaii. They look like they have grown already! :) Their tummies are always really fat, so they like the stuff!

I've been trying crushed flake and crushed cyclopeeze wafers, but so far they spit it out. :(
[/quote]

Lyn, I got the baby bangaii's onto frozen brine shrimp :) I pre-soak my food in selcon, and they LOVE it. They eat until their bellies are ... bulging :)
So that makes cyclops, and frozen brine. Now to get some cyclopeeze, and mysid into their diet. I am hoping they take to mysid a little better now that they have something somewhat meaty in their diet.

So I went to the store yesterday and bought cyclopeeze, plankton, cyclops, and more BBS. I tried the cyclopeeze...they ate some, but not with the same gusto as BBS. I also tried the plankton...they don't like it. I'm hoping they'll take the cyclops.

I figure, it's not too big of a loss since I'll just feed my corals the food they won't eat. :) I'm a little worried about a balanced diet, but I guess if they keep eating and growing, it should be ok.

Oh, I got the cyclopeze in a bar/stick. I plan on shaving it into the tank with a fine grater.

Wow, Lyn, this is becoming like our "let's compare notes for our baby Bangaii" thread :D
I just got back from the LFS with some PE mysis, and cyclopeeze. 69.5% protein for the PE mysis! Now to ween them onto it.
Cyclopeeze does not have a ton of protein (according to the label), but it has a lot of HUFA's, so I hear. I got cyclopeeze in a squirt bottle -nice 'n easy ;) Shouldn't the cyclopeeze be small enough for the fish as it is?
If I can get these fish to eat the two foods I got today, I think I'll be good to go :)

I had to shave the cyclopeeze frozen bar. I didn't know they had a squirt bottle...wish I had gotten that! Would be sooo much easier. I also shaved the mysis, not only because it was frozen in a single pack, but because the shrimp size is too big.

Yeah, LOL it has become a compare notes thread. :D But I think it is good. :D

BTW, they did take the cyclops with selcon. Let me know if they eat the PE Mysis.

Lyn -
Yeah, ocean treasures carries cyclopeeze in a little squirt bottle -comes in two sizes, and needs to be kept in the freezer when not in use.

My baby bangaii's took to PE Mysis like no ones business. The smaller ones had a hard time getting any, because it was way bigger than them could handle (the two larger Bangaii's took it no problem). I will try to crush/break the PE Mysis a little more to accomodate the smaller ones. If that does not work, I will use Hikari Mysis, which is smaller.

So far though, my babies seem to be really taking a liking to the frozen brine shrimp (in selcon).

Lyn -

Just thought you might want to know that I just tried some Nutramar Ova, and got mixed results. They went after it, but they weren't crazy for it. I ended up just feeding them a little of the Ova, and gave them some artemia.
FWIW, I also spoke briefly with Rich today, and he said he was feeding the babies nauplii before he distributed them.

You fed them whole PE mysis? Wow! I'm surprised the bigger ones could eat that. I have Hikari mysis, I might have to try it. Sure beats shaving all the time.

Thanks for the heads up on the Nutramar Ova. Yeah, I knew Rich was feeding them live baby brine. I was so glad they took the frozen!

So, does the bottled Cyclopeeze stay in a liquid form in the freezer?

Regarding the PE Mysis, I had to mash/break it up between my fingers in order to accommodate the small babies. A rough break down of what I am feeding now (of course, everything soaked prior to feeding):

frozen brine shrimp ~80%
cyclops/cyclopeeze ~6%
nutramar ova ~6%
PE Mysis ~6%
They eat the brine shrimp until they're bulging at the belly.
As they become larger (which happens in no time hopefully!) I will incorporate the PE Mysis into their diet much more.
The bottled cyclopeeze needs to stay in the freezer when not in use -oddly enough it does not completely solidify inside of the bottle. The cyclopeeze almost has a mushy/slushy consistency to it. No thawing required either. It's good to go out of the bottle because, when the employee at the LFS I got it from fed some of the fish in the store with it, he simply squirted the cyclopeeze directly into the tanks.

I was going to ask you the same thing =)
Normally, I change their water at the same time I change the water in my reef tank upstairs. I use the water I take out of the reef tank, and do a water change with it in the 20L the Bangaii's are in. This is almost always about 4g.
I feed the babies about 2-3 times a day, so it gets a little dirty -but nothing out of hand. About half way through the week, or whenever there is a good amount of crud on the bottom of the tank (bare bottom), I siphon out the crud into a bucket; then I wait about five minutes and let all the crud settle to the bottom of the bucket; then I slowly pour the water from the bucket back into the tank, careful to be sure I don't pour any of he crud back into the tank. I hope that makes some coherent sense, haha! But, so far it has been working, and I have had no issues.
How about yourself?

Back