Neptune Aquatics

Setting up a CaRx

I'll be setting up a small Calcium reactor for the frag tank, a KnopC I had for a while now with not so much action seen by the little unit.
Somewhere I read of placing some Magnesium media inside the reactor to add both, Ca and Mag but I can't find the name of the media
Have a pH controller, a Milwaukee SMS 122 unit that I'm not familiar with; Do I plug the solenoid on the controller? I'll calibrate the unit's probe with 4 and 7 fluid.
I'll feed the reactor off the return instead of using an extra pump.

P1020885.jpg

The mag media you are referring to might be dolomite, the issue with it is that it breaks down at a higher pH than aragonite so using it in a Ca reactor might not be the best idea.

You can plug the solenoid into the controller if you'd like, make sure you do calibrate it and the the controller is setup to shut down when it is lower than a specific point rather than higher, if not then no need for the solenoid.

The new larger size ARM from Caribsea has elevated MG. It has more now then the previous version.

You may also be thinking about zeomag. However, IME it doesn't work very well. Doesn't dissolve at the typical pH most people run their calcium reactors at.

Thx guys, I'll look into Caribsea first; another question, which solution should I calibrate the probe with first, 7 or 4?

Many units require two point calubration. I suggest reading the directions for your particular unit... if you dont have any most are easily found on the internet now a days.

I have both Gresh but somewhere read that one of the cal. fluids has to be used first; to set a CaRx, 4 and 7 have to be used as to calibrate for the main tank has to be 7 and 10 but I believe there's an order to calibrate the controller.

I think I have that manual at work in my aquarium stuff. I'll look tomorrow when I return :)

Back