Reef nutrition

Setting up a close loop

I am going to set up a close loop for my fish tank, since 2 MP60w is definitely not enough. I am not sure if i should include a valve to control the flow, and T out the return outlet to create more flow in the fish tank. Need you guys advice here.

Wow..two mp60's aren't enough flow from your tank ? How big is it ? I would use true union ball valves on either side of the pump. Note: don't ever restrict the intake side, it is only to help shut off flow if break the unions for pump service. Are you building a manifold or drilling the tank ? Sanjay Joshi has a cool example of a close loop in the 500 gallon Penn State Tank.

+1 on the wow 2 mp60s aren't enough comment :D

First you should note that while closed loops do serve their purpose, they are MUCH bigger energy hogs than using efficient pumps (Vortechs, Tunzes, Modded maxijets, etc).

As to the basics, you have one hole with pulls water from the tank and goes to the pump, I would put a valve + union on this output, or one of those true union valve combos. Not to adjust flow, but to allow you to disconnect your pump for servicing. This intake should be bigger than you outflows.

Then the output of the pump goes to back into the tank in 1 or more locations. Also put unions + valves there if you drill into the tank for returns as opposed to coming from the top.

How teeing off won't create more flow, it'll just weaken the flow and send it to more than one area. So you have to ask yourself where are your dead spots, where do you need/want the flow, this should help you make the decisions that you need.

Two things do help closed loop systems:
1) You can buy controllable valves. Although they are very expensive.
This allows you to alternate returns, instead of a simple Tee.
2) Flow accelerator nozzles.
They multiply the flow, and spread it out a bit.
Of course, they add stuff to the tank, and at some point, are not much better than powerheads.

Oceans Motions has the "Revolutions" line of CL add on; nice little gadgets, they turn with the flow and aim at different angles; check their website.

Back