Jestersix

Shelf Life for Chemicals

Hi - Does anyone know if there is a shelf life for chemicals such as iodine, magnesium, calcium, etc.? Some friends have down sized/taken a break and have passed them to me for use but think they might be a couple of years old. I noticed one had a label from "The Aquarium" ....I'm sure that brings back some memories for us east bayers! ;D Any advice or info on this is greatly appreciated. Last thing I want is to cause tank turmoil from supplementing the tank. Thanks and have a nice evening. Doug

Norm - Yes....they're in the plastic containers....such as Kent, B-Ionic, etc. Is there a time we should throw them away? 4-5 years? Thanks.

if they are closed, and there isn't some odd growth in them, you should be fine. About the only thing I can think of, is some things percipitating through oxidation by slow O2 leaking. B-ionic afaik, is 2part? If so, it pretty much will last forever.

precipitation means you end up with some solids that are more concentrated, but the rest of the liquid (which is what you would normally be pouring out/into your tank) is less concentrated. Now, if you used the slurry/slush that would be found at the bottom of the bottle (after precipitation), then you would want to use less than normal.

yup :) That is why I said "in solution" not "in suspension". Technical mumbo jumbo gets confusing at times :) Also, even the slurry can be effectively less concentrated. Depending on the solubility of the precipitate, the compoun may re-dissolve (useful) or may stay as a solid (not useful).

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4963.msg61000#msg61000 date=1225121391]
yup :) That is why I said "in solution" not "in suspension". Technical mumbo jumbo gets confusing at times :) Also, even the slurry can be effectively less concentrated. Depending on the solubility of the precipitate, the compoun may re-dissolve (useful) or may stay as a solid (not useful).
[/quote]
Darn scientists

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4963.msg60821#msg60821 date=1224915507]
if they are closed, and there isn't some odd growth in them, you should be fine. About the only thing I can think of, is some things percipitating through oxidation by slow O2 leaking. B-ionic afaik, is 2part? If so, it pretty much will last forever.
[/quote]

Bionic was the first 2-part system to enter the market like 15-20 years ago :)

Back