Kessil

Shimmer Lines- yay or nay?

I just mounted over my tank the new Kessil 350W which I like, however the shimmer lines are very strong which I don't like. My other lighting was MH and I've also had a couple LEDs before, but those were spread out so while I had shimmer lines before, I never had a point source light like Kessil's which puts our very strong shimmer lines. They strobe enough so it's bothersome to me at least for my 1st day of viewing. For those that have shimmer lines, do you like them or do you get used to them? Or do you just try to avoid point source lighting to lessen the shimmer affect? I'm thinking I'll need to swap out the Kessil for something else.

I disliked the A150W day 1 for the very strobe look you're referring to. But then after a few days I got used to it. Now I love them.

I will say that running multiple units certainly helps even it out.

the fixture will normally burn in with 48/72 hours IME. once that is over you will probally not notice it enough either from the fixture burn in or from the fact your brains says i love the light so much i dont care,LOL

houser said:
I disliked the A150W day 1 for the very strobe look you're referring to. But then after a few days I got used to it. Now I love them.

I will say that running multiple units certainly helps even it out.

Exactly this re my A150. It drove me insane for about a week but I got used to it after that. Wouldn't have it any other way for a small tank less than 20g :)

Not sure if the shimmer is comparable between the 150 and 350 with corresponding tank sizes.

thank for the input guys, i'll give it some time & worst case I'm sure I can find a taker for this light if I go a different direction, it's got a great form factor & nice output.

We are running a A350w over our 57 ggallon display in the shop and i must say i dont realize it at all anymore, it is pretty suttle. Hope it all works out, great light you purchased

Echoing Dave. The shimmer lines seemed VERY strong at first. After a while, they grow on you and they don't seem so exaggerated.
Note that I'm using a pair of 150's, so not quite as intense shimmer as with a single point source.

Gomer said:
Echoing Dave. The shimmer lines seemed VERY strong at first. After a while, they grow on you and they don't seem so exaggerated.
Note that I'm using a pair of 150's, so not quite as intense shimmer as with a single point source.

+1. I thought the shimmering was also a bit too much at first. But after couple days, I got over it and love the light. Especially after seeing how well the corals response to it.

Though I don't own one yet, I think these babies are awesome. It's as if it's mimicking the shimmer lines of the sun when scuba diving.

Using plasmas the shimmer lines are even more noticeable. After two years, when I see a tank without the shimmer it looks flat and dull to me. After seeing the new A350W, I am considering swapping out the T5s on my 50G for a Kessil.

Back