Reef nutrition

Shipping a 17' Boston Whaler from RI to SF

trying to figure the best way (or if its worth it) to ship a 17' Boston Whaler Montuak w/ trailer from Road Island to Berkeley.

Option 1: Rent a truck and drive it (gas is cheap right now, and getting cheaper)
Option 2: Rent a uHaul 24' and put the whole thing in the back (probably more money than 1, but would be an easy CC trip).
Option 3: Find a moving service (need help here?!)
Option 4: Motor her down to Panama and up....would be an epic trip....

Go with 4 just for the adventure :)

I know some guys back east that move boats for a living, mainly east coast trips from the south to the north of hurricane found boats though. I'll see if they know of any services for you :)

You could probably find a shipping company to pick it up and drop it off.. If it was me I'd make a road trip if it was a good enough deal.. What year is it? What model? What kind of power? What type of trailer? Or just buy locally :) Unless someoen is giving it to you :)

I don't know anything about boats really other than the principles behind their flotation :D But would it be possible/feasible to motor it around panama? Do they hold enough gas to get any distance before having to refuel? Sailing, I can see that, but puttering? Can't see that.

No Mike. hahahaha it wouldn't quite make it :) Those are the boats that are supposedly unsinkable with their foam cores.. It doesn't mean you can't fall off though :) A doctor and his son perished about 20 years ago just outside the bay.. He told his wife he was goign to go out and fish and not to worry because the boat was unsinkable.. Sure enough it was unsinkable.. THey found the boat drifting 2 days later still intact with noone on board.. :(

I used to own a shipping company and would suggest calling a specialty flatbed long hauler. You could call a specialty company like Navis Pack & Ship, Freighters and Craters or Box Brothers. I would also suggest looking on www.uship.com and post your shipping needs. It's a site that shippers bid on work. I'm sure they're hurting right now for work. HTHs.

You know what... I recant that, I didn't see that it was already on a trailer... I would definitely suggest going on uship.com then if all they have to do is hitch and go or like you suggested originally, if you have the time, renting a duallie (sp?) and hauling it yourself would be cheapest.

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=5556.msg70298#msg70298 date=1229576743]
No Mike. hahahaha it wouldn't quite make it :) Those are the boats that are supposedly unsinkable with their foam cores.. It doesn't mean you can't fall off though :) A doctor and his son perished about 20 years ago just outside the bay.. He told his wife he was goign to go out and fish and not to worry because the boat was unsinkable.. Sure enough it was unsinkable.. THey found the boat drifting 2 days later still intact with noone on board.. :(
[/quote]

I saw a video of one up in the Sound getting beat to crap but it popped up every time :)

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5556.msg69295#msg69295 date=1229282025]

I know some guys back east that move boats for a living, mainly east coast trips from the south to the north of hurricane found boats though. I'll see if they know of any services for you :)
[/quote]

Go with 4!

If you have other people sail it around for you...don't hire guys like this ;

http://www.offthefence.com/content/programme.php?EpID=651&ID=347&Categories=6

V

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=5556.msg70371#msg70371 date=1229623784]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5556.msg69295#msg69295 date=1229282025]

[/quote]

Go with 4!

If you have other people sail it around for you...don't hire guys like this ;

http://www.offthefence.com/content/programme.php?EpID=651&ID=347&Categories=6

V

[/quote]
See I was thinking 4 too (if he had plenty of sea experience) except for a little google search seems to suggest this is not any sort of sail boat, so unless you want to tie some kites onto the boat you'll not get very far on the gas :D

Sounds like the job for cold fusion or hydrogen extraction from the seawater :) wait, couldn't you make the ocean into a large battery and use it to power the boat ?? :D

Sure, just toss a few plates of various metallic content off the back, you WILL get a voltage between them... enough of them you might even get enough to spin a motor... however it might also sink the unsinkable with the added weight because you would need a LOT :D

haha, yeah Panama was definately a joke!

the boat is actually my buddies, bequest to him by his father, its a mid 90's 17' Boston Whaler Montauk with a 90hsp on it. Its all geared for fishing so we were thinking about having it sent out. I have it posted on a uShip (ebay for shipping), right now the lowest bid is $2000 which includes shipping insurance.

If we were to buy a boat out here it would probably cost 10-15k for a similar year condition boat...still not sure what we want to do.

I just want a small boat that I can trailer easy with my Tacoma to Tahoe or San Luis, sea worthy enough to fish/dive off Monterey, and with a shallow enough draft to hit the backwaters of the delta for stripers.

Ideally I think I'd want to get a 15' Classic Whaler (no longer made) or the 17' Montauk...oh man that boat makes want to fish http://www.whaler.com/boats/boat-170montauk/

If you guys don't want to pay for shipping I'd love it and would pay for shipping :lol: Those boats are very nice and I actually hav a lead on a slip right by my house :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=5556.msg70436#msg70436 date=1229638142]
If you guys don't want to pay for shipping I'd love it and would pay for shipping :lol: Those boats are very nice and I actually hav a lead on a slip right by my house :D
[/quote]

ha, you wish!

I'm actually excited, there are lots of slips opening up, everyone is pulling their pleasure cruisers (thanks Wall Street!)

unfortunately small boats, especially fishing boats keep their value well and in a bad economy too...but the time is right if you want a sport boat or sail boat, check out craig's list...

No offence, but what kind of lame *ss whales live around boston where you can haul them aboard a 17' boat?

:p

Also, just toss a Mr Fusion on the thing and you're good to go! If you need water, just pee into that thing that Kevin Costner uses in Waterworld (versus ... oh evaporating and recondensing it from the ocean).

V

Back