Jestersix

Shooting in RAW

I've heard shooting in RAW has many advantages - does anyone have any feedback as to what these advantages are exactly? Right now I am only shooting with the highest quality possible on my Canon, but no RAW. What will I be able to do with photos during post processing if I have the RAW file?

In RAW mode you have way more options with adjusting the photos. ie, white balance, exposure, etc For me those two features are very important especially when shooting reef tanks.

Ah, okay, those two things definitely sound important factors to be able to manipulate
What else in particular can you edit?
Is there a certain post processing program most people use?

Hi Anthony,

Other things that can be manipulated as well, this may depend upon the software that you use and what version of that software. As an example, If you have Photoshop CS3 or CS4 you can adjust sharpening, color saturation, and so forth, in addition to what Ian stated.

As far as post processing software, I think most people use some version or form of Photoshop (CS2, CS3, CS4, or Essentials (the light version of Photoshop)). There are others out there that people use, and I'll let others mention them as I'm mostly familiar with Photoshop.

To quote Photoshop CS3 Help with regards to RAW :

A camera raw file contains unprocessed, uncompressed grayscale picture data from a digital camera’s image sensor, along with information about how the image was captured. Photoshop Camera Raw software interprets the camera raw file, using information about the camera and the image’s metadata to construct and process a color image.

Think of a camera raw file as your photo negative. You can reprocess the file at any time, achieving the results that you want by making adjustments for white balance, tonal range, contrast, color saturation, and sharpening. When you adjust a camera raw image, the original camera raw data is preserved. Adjustments are stored as metadata in an accompanying sidecar file, in a database, or in the file itself (in the case of DNG format).

When you shoot JPEG files with your camera, the camera automatically processes the JPEG to enhance and compress the image. You generally have little control over how this processing occurs. Shooting camera raw images with your camera gives you greater control than shooting JPEG images, because camera raw does not lock you into processing done by your camera.

To shoot camera raw images, you need to set your camera to save files in its own camera raw file format.

Hope this helps.

Highest quality is JPEG, which uses compression and is 8-bit. RAW is an uncompressed file format, which depending on the model of the camera is at least 10-bit and can be up to 14-bit. You lose a lot of shadows and highlight info with compression beyond what has already been stated.

In the Adobe line you also have Lightroom which also is used for RAW. I used both PS CS4 and Lightroom 2.0 and I only shoot in RAW :)

My IT guy told me CS4 wasn't worth upgrading to but I must say he is WAY off base. I LOVE the new features and can never go back to CS3 :) Like wise, the same with LR2 :)

LR2 also makes filing you pictures a breeze as well as making slide show or galleries :)

..now if only I can get academic pricing on CS4/LR :p

I use an OLD PS right now. I think it is 4.0. I lost the CD a while ago and it is only installed on my wife's comp. On my comp, I use GIMP.

If you ever want to upgrade, don't do the academic pricing for Adobe as you can not upgrade those :(

Two stand out in my job...dual screen support and the Screen Share. I use two 22" monitors and in CS3 I could park pallets and such but I couldn't have two pictures open at once (one per monitor). It works more like a MAC now as in how you can simply drop and drag files from AI to INDD or PS :) I'm more stoked on the improvements on InDesign and Illustrator though....plus how well they actually work together now :)

Those are nice features! It's nice to have a greater integration of the CS Suite of products. I primarily use PS but occasionally use AI to trace or do vector images. I'll probably pick up another monitor during the christmas season as like you I can really utilize both (my other hobby is music and I run Logic Pro Studio which is a screen hog).

Shooting in RAW is tricky, since you need to match your post-processing software's calibration settings to your camera.
For Adobe Lightroom you can get new calibration settings which they just release for each of the camera models.

For my D50 the difference is huge, for D90 it's so-so since I assume D90 sensor is doing better job.

Back