Our mission

Shopping for a skimmer

Looking for skimmer for a 125g dt with a 42g or 64g (haven't decided on which model tide line to get) sump.

I've been looking and so far have it narrowed down to either the Vertex Omega 180i or the Skimz Kone SK201 or Monster 203/201. I've looked at the Nyos but just seems like a good looking product. Meaning it LOOKS good and only just works (not any better than other not so good looking ones).

Reef Octopus looks like a solid line but many models look like copies of other existing skimmers. Bubble Magus also look like they have a good following but the pumps can be a problem?

I like that Vertex uses a Sicce in the 180 n an Askoll in the 200. Skimz uses their own pumps but many have said they are rebadged high quality pumps.

Any others I've over looked?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am an ATB fan from day one but gotta say a few bubble Magnus curve landed in my hands and they rock. I am quite impressed even with the smaller version.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting. Some nice features but would love to see more.

But the Apex ready part brings up another question. How useful would a controllable DC pump be in a skimmer?

Well thinking out of the box but lets say if you have a apex controllable DC pump for a skimmer and a float switch you could detect that the sump water has risen that would cause the skimmer to overflow normally, but with a Apex controllable pump when the float switch is activated you could program the skimmer pump to slow down so it wouldn't overflow but can still keep skimming and then when the switch deactivates it will increase the flow of the skimmer pump...

ATB Elegance pro 200 runs like a tank on one of my systems and still running after all these years without having to take the motor apart to clean it. I had to dial it down quite a bit but this skimmer allows me to feed endlessly.

Thanks for the link. Looks interesting. Some nice features but would love to see more.

But the Apex ready part brings up another question. How useful would a controllable DC pump be in a skimmer?

Easier to turn down the speed than mess with a drain pipe or whatever to dial the skimmer in. And more efficient and quieter

Back