High Tide Aquatics

Shortening height of tank

Has any one cut the glass before as to make the aquarium shorter in height?
I have a 40G 24" tall and would like to know if it´ll be OK to cut 6" all around and use it as a sump.

Thanks !

DSCF3307.jpg

I know people have done it before. I personally haven't and I would be very concerned about compromising the structural integrity of the tank. For a sump, I might not be as concerned as it wouldn't be completely full of water but probably wouldn't risk it. Remember this is from an accountant, I am not exactly the biggest risk taker in the world.

You would pretty much have to take apart all the sides, remove all silicone, shorten 4 pieces of glass and put everything back together. Not worth the effort I would think plus there is a big chance that at least one of the 4 pieces cracks while trying to shorten it.

there are a bunch of ppl that did this with smaller (5 gal) tanks on NR. basicly what they did is used a glass saw and cut off the tops (no disaembly) but most if not all said that they cracked a buch of tanks doing it and it was very hard to make stright cuts.

Acrylic tank - No problem
Glass tank - might be a problem simply due to glass thickness, and the PITA nature to cut.

If you really wanted you could use a diamond bit and cut through all the glass all around, maybe reattach the brace or use the cut pieces as a eurobracing, but IMO too much fricking effort for something any standard tank could fit the bill for and might be available around the club for a low price.

If you really want to try put it on a diamond tile cutter saw and chop each side at a time, you'll probably fracture/crack the glass, but hey go for it :D

[quote author=bluenassarius link=topic=5862.msg73652#msg73652 date=1231544514]
craigslist always has cheap or free tanks
[/quote]

LOL; I got it free from CL !!
It's a leaking tank so I removed the silicone to re-seal it but since I have not found one 40 breeder or 30 long, I was thinking of do a custom "choped" top
I still have to get a glass cutter and probably will. In the mean time I'll search for Erin's tread
Thanks a lot !

Bryan (BOD) can I pay my membership with a CC/Debit ?

Again, thanks !

You shoulda cut it when you took it apart. It will be to hard to cut now unless you have a diamond wheel(s). Even with the diamond wheel, it will be hard to cut.

I just removed the silicon, is not apart yet so I thought might as well do it before any new silicon.
I'm going to try cutting it after I finish painting the stand.

Yeah, I cut one. I just put it on a tile saw and chopped it in half. Then I broke and pulled out the remaining glass from of the top plastic rim and re-siliconed the rim onto the bottom piece.

It worked, but it was a little scary and it was a small tank.

Back