Cali Kid Corals

Should the skimmer not be running when cycling a new tank?

Hi guy, I put sand into Wifebane and some of it was pretty dirty. I started up a skimmer which initially pulled some stuff out, but now seems like it's not pulling anything out. Most likely the organics have not dissolved into the water or whatever.

I seeded the tank with a couple (algae covered, unfortunately) rocks, and later I'll try and put some pod laden water into it, if I'm fast with a siphon hose.

But I'm wondering, since the tank is in it's initial cycle, if I should leave the skimmer off so that the ANN bacteria can have more to munch on and thus speed up the cycle?

What does the Reef Collective think?

V

If you had "nasty" new live rock that has lots of decaying stuff on it, definitely skimmer up... in fact you'll probably overflow it if it's really bad. If everything is relatively clean, it won't hurt much but probably won't pull much out either.

It's pretty clean. The sand was a bit grosser, but I cleaned it and it's not that bad.

I'm wondering if gross crap is good for quickening the cycle.

V

I would suggest using it.
Primarily so that it lets you test out your equipment, and break it in.

Yes, it removes gross stuff, which means less ammonia.
But I think that reduces the number of bacteria, more than cycle time.

At any rate, if you want to optimize the cycle, there are quicker ways anyway.
(Dose with ammonia + bacteria directly)

Every time I read the name of your tank it cracks me up!

I see no real harm to skimming but it could reduce the organics that others add to get cycle pumped up. Nice to be able ot test it and break it in.

Are you adding any bacteria-in-a-bottle?
Are you adding an ammonia source?

Ran/Running my skimmer during the cycle on my new build. Good way of breaking it in and learning about its up and downs like everyone is saying.

I'm running a re-furbed skimmer from CookieJar (ie I fixed the pump) sort of just for fun to see how a venturi skimmer works. The first day of running got me some crap, but the next day it wasn't skimming much.

I was planning to move my AquaC to this tank, and I actually have a brand new one. I might put the brand new one onto that tank and forget the incredibly loud (even with "pillbottle silencer") venturi skimmer.

Incidentally, I'm surprised how much quieter the "pillbottle silencer" makes the air intake. It's a pill bottle with two holes drilled in the cap, with the airline going into it, then another short length coming out of it. I shoved a cotton ball into mine. Still, the pump itself is loud.

Dosing with ammonia. I might do this. I actually seeded the tank with several pounds of live rock from my tanks. I took lr from the sump of my main tank, to avoid aiptasia from that tank, and some algae coated lr from my fish-holding tank. So that's my way of "dosing" bacteria.

I don't think I need to dose more bacteria, but some ammonia to feed those rocks might be a good idea. I'll look it up.

V

30% of 200 gallons = 60 gallons ... !!

But I was wondering this too. Should I change some water? Change it for old tank water even? Just in case there is other crap in the tank from the old sand?

I might do a water change on my old tank and siphon out water in an attempt to capture some pods and then put the old water into the new tank. But the fear is ... aiptasia molecules, because aiptasia can grow back from a single molecule you know!

V

No old water
Only new clean ideal water into new tank
You can't change too much water (provided that it is add slowly as to prevent system shock)
The solution to pollution is dilution

bah the solution to pollution is to remove what is causing the pollution, water changes are only a bandaid solution if the underlying cause of the pollution is still there. Now in some cases those causes are fish & fish food you're feeding them in which case you're out of luck and bandaids are the only solution. For a cycling event, I'd just let it run it's course until it's cycled, then do a big water change afterwards.

try putting a mouse pad under the pump....reduces vibration noise. Waste can be consumed too...plants, filter feeders, clams etc.... but water changes help alot.

Back