Kessil

Simplicity 240 Skimmer

Help! Got my skimmer. Can't seem to dial it in. its been running about a day and no nasty skim mate. It produces bubbles but I can't seem to dial in the water level for them to boil over and be captured in the cup.

How do I tune this in to be efficient and clean my water?

Thanks

I have never used that skimmer, but skimmers almost always have a break-in period before they start working effectively. It could take a couple of weeks.

As Bruce said there could be some break in period. Also how nasty dirty is your tank? If it's not that dirty you will not get any dark skimmate after only a day. But in the mean time some questions

1: Is the water level where the sump is at a constant height that never fluctuates? i.e. baffles keep the water at the same height.
2: If yes to the previous question, how many inches of water is it in?

First, I would suggest wiping skimmer inside and out with vinegar. Maybe soaking a bit as well.
The "break in" period is sometimes due to contaminants from manufacturing.
But yes, expect 2 weeks sometimes.

I think there are 3 adjustments to that skimmer:
1) DC motor speed.
2) Exit pipe flow valve. (reducing flow should raise bubble height)
3) Height of the skimmer itself in the water.

Most people forget about #3. If it is way off, skimmer will not function.

My suggestion would be to have motor on nearly max, height in middle of manufacturers recommendation,
then just adjust exit pipe flow.

i oversized it on purpose as I want to have many fish. i've got the motor one notch below full speed. water level is proper, and I've put the water level inside the skimmer to be just where the foam reaches but doesn't breach the cup.

Skimmer is rated for 240g. 120g heavy load. If you are going to oversize a skimmer, pick 1 that is 2x light load.

You are going to find the skimmer perform inconsistently. It will skim dry then overflow. It will be hard to tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The over-size problem is this:
If you do not maintain a film of proteins on the surface of the skimmer neck, the head will never really form,
and skimmer will not work. Bubbles will simply pop and dissipate, never accumulating and rising over the edge.

Larger heavy bio-load tanks obviously produce a lot more proteins than small new fairly empty tanks.
The surface area of the skimmer neck is a function of the square of the diameter. (PI*(d/2)^2)

So that means if you put a big skimmer with a wide neck on a small clean tank, it will not work very well.

Tank size?
Current and future bio-load?
Throat diameter of skimmer?

** That does not necessarily mean you have the wrong skimmer **
1) They do need to break in sometimes, so patience.
2) You mention wanting a lot more fish in the future.
So don't rush out and replace it.

But keep an eye on nitrates and phosphates.

Back