Cali Kid Corals

Skimmer-less

I am thinking of using no protein skimmer on my tank. The tank would be 20g, and will only have two fish in it (maybe three at most).

This tank will be in my room, so it would be kind of nice to have a tank that makes no noise at all! Also one less thing I would need to look at in my tank. I can use a small air pump (dialed way down) for aeration. Having been using a protein skimmer since I've started the marine hobby, I am having a hard time just dropping it. That said, I have seen some skimmer-less set ups that are astounding.
I can also put some macro algae in my tank for some nutrient export.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Talk me into keeping, or ditching my skimmer.

Why not one of the old style skimmers on an air stone? If you're going to run an air pump anyway why not do a twofer?

-Gregory

GDawson said:
Why not one of the old style skimmers on an air stone? If you're going to run an air pump anyway why not do a twofer?

-Gregory

The counter-current skimmer still needs to go in the tank, and would be an even larger distraction than the Remora skimmer.

Its been done (recently):
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/4/aquarium

An adequate protein skimmer for this size of tank might hold 10-20% the volume of the tank and I find that using activated carbon is faster, more effective and a whole lot more discreet at removing dissolved organics than a puny inefficient protein skimmer.

I run a 7gal without a skimmer. My nutrient export consists of a 1gal water change every 4 days and a small clump of chaeto in an HOB on the back. I use the HOB as a tiny fuge and a place to put a bag of carbon. If it wasn't for the lighting fan, my tank would be almost silent.

-Russell

I had a 10g set up with no filter and skimmer, just a powerhead and heater, and it did great. I say give it a shot without one and see how it goes.

I ran a 12g tank with no skimmer no other type of filtration just did small water changes every week or so. I think on smaller tanks its easier to get away without having a skimmer. Just make sure your bioload is good to go before hand.

slim_jim989 said:
I ran a 12g tank with no skimmer no other type of filtration just did small water changes every week or so. I think on smaller tanks its easier to get away without having a skimmer. Just make sure your bioload is good to go before hand.

Yeah, I plan to change 2-3 gallons every week or two on this tank.
I think my bioload is pretty light.

pixelpixi said:
I had a 10g set up with no filter and skimmer, just a powerhead and heater, and it did great. I say give it a shot without one and see how it goes.

I figure I will keep the skimmer lying around in case I change my mind, or throw it on before I ever leave for vacation or something :)

Consider a DIY semi-continuous water change.
Meaning:
Have a two small tanks in the stand or nearby. Say 10G each.
One is full of fresh salt water. The other is empty.
Put a simple small pump on a timer, so you pump salt water from the fresh tank into the main tank at intervals.
Say a quart, 4 times / day. So you can run for a week with no effort. Exact dosage does not matter much.
The other empty tank is connected to an overflow, much like a sump.
As water gets pumped in, it causes the dirty tank water to overflow to the empty tank.
As usual : You need to equate the water change percentage to the bio load. That 1G/day is a a rough guess. Probably low.

Totally silent. Well, except for a tiny noise a few times when that small pump goes on.
Very low effort. Just mix a new batch of SW on weekend. (Best to have a third bucket of same size, swap)
Since it is a small amount at a time (a quart or so), no real concerns about PH, temp, salinity matching, etc.

Note: If you have a lot of evaporation, it gets a bit tricky, since you need to dilute the salt water in lower tank a bit.
Otherwise, salinity level will slowly rise.

This is something I roughly plan to do on my 20G quarantine tank.
Except it pumps in water from my main tank.

I have run skimmerless many times, and with my current setup I barely have one, I simply added a skimmer cup to the top of my bubble trap in my sump since I noticed it was "skimming" or basically collecting crap anyway.

As long as you don't slack on water changes it's a viable option. In addition to being quiet it's a lot safer when you go on vacation too, skimmer malfunctions suck.

anathema said:
I have run skimmerless many times, and with my current setup I barely have one, I simply added a skimmer cup to the top of my bubble trap in my sump since I noticed it was "skimming" or basically collecting crap anyway.

As long as you don't slack on water changes it's a viable option. In addition to being quiet it's a lot safer when you go on vacation too, skimmer malfunctions suck.

Actually, I figure if I were to ever leave the tank for any period of time more than 1-2 days, I would put the protein skimmer on! haha :)

My guess is that as long as the bio load is light and you do frequent water changes you'll continue to enjoy your quiet tank! In my retired 20 that I used to rear frags that were transferred to my 90, I had to consider much more nutrient export and a hang on skimmer (Red Sea Prism) became regularly loaded with skunge. I also did frequent water changes and upgraded to an MP-10 Vortech. Lighting was 4 24" T5's in a Current Sundial fixture. In my case, I think the skimmer had a lot to do with my long term success with minimum livestock loss.

screebo said:
My guess is that as long as the bio load is light and you do frequent water changes you'll continue to enjoy your quiet tank! In my retired 20 that I used to rear frags that were transferred to my 90, I had to consider much more nutrient export and a hang on skimmer (Red Sea Prism) became regularly loaded with skunge. I also did frequent water changes and upgraded to an MP-10 Vortech. Lighting was 4 24" T5's in a Current Sundial fixture. In my case, I think the skimmer had a lot to do with my long term success with minimum livestock loss.

I have an mp10 in this new tank, and the flow is ridiculous ... like a hurricane at the twist of a small dial, haha! I can't ever see myself using Koralia's again, and being happy.

I have my skimmer on stand-by, ready to use in case of any sign off distress. Hopefully it does not come to that though! haha :D

Here's a 12 gal with no skimmer that was in service for several years. No SPS but some cool LPS and fish
12galnoskimmer.jpg

Here's the 20 that eventually needed a skimmer to help export Ka Ka.
20galgrowouttank.jpg

screebo said:
Here's a 12 gal with no skimmer that was in service for several years. No SPS but some cool LPS and fish
12galnoskimmer.jpg

Here's the 20 that eventually needed a skimmer to help export Ka Ka.
20galgrowouttank.jpg

Holy frikkin' moly, that is a superb tank tank John. What kind of fish did you have in there, and what kind of water change schedule were you on?

Hey Anthony,
A couple fire fish that I still have after more than 2 years! A naked percula that I also still have, Fire Shrimp and scooter blenny still alive and kicken'. Most all of the monti's, the duncans, candy cane, chalice and hammer also made the move. Only a few things didn't make it like some GARF Bonsai and some nice chalice and mycedium. As I look closely, I see the Balanophilia also made it to the new tank. That's the one that looks a little like a pale dendro.

I mixed 50 gallons of water at a time and did transfusion style water changes of about 35% every two weeks. I'd siphon out detritus while slowly filling from the supply, keeping the water level somewhat constant. Good, bright light made a big difference too when I added the Sundial T5 fixture.

Back