got ethical husbandry?

skimmer recommendation?

It has been a while since I have researched on skimmer. Wondering if I can get some recommendation from you guys?

Tank Specs
- 75 gallon display + 20 gallons water change tank + ~30 gallons sump (only 15 gallons of water when running) = 110 gallons (total)

Looking for in-sump skimmer for the setup. My plan is to grow 70%sps and 30% LPS/softies. Any inputs/recommendations is appreciated. Thanks.

The Super Reefs are pretty reasonable I think. They do an amazing job. I have the SRO EXT-6000 and it really skimms.

I've heard good things about bubble magus and Vertex as well. Good luck on the new build. Fun to plan a new tank.

What's your budget ? You can find good deals on RC and other for sale sites. ATB, Vertex Alpha, & Bubble King are all considered solid brands. The RLSS skimmers are pretty cool also.

When considering budget, don't just think short term.
Pump efficiency matters!
And the first place many skimmer save cost is on the pump.
These run 24/7, so a seeming small 20 watt difference = roughly $40 per year.

rygh said:
When considering budget, don't just think short term.
Pump efficiency matters!
And the first place many skimmer save cost is on the pump.
These run 24/7, so a seeming small 20 watt difference = roughly $40 per year.

Not only that, but some skimmers seem to burn through pumps & impellers... so look at reviews and make sure the one you are going to get doesn't have a ton of people crying about multiple pump purchases, etc.

I was just recently shopping for inexpensive skimmers and came to the following ones.

Bubble Magus Hero 180 - Sicce 1000psk pump - 265 @ petmountain air intake 500 l/h
Bubble Magus 220a - atman 4000 pump -249.99 air intake 1000l/h

I went with the 220a, uses an ATI body and the price leaves me in the ok if pump dies and I want to buy a fancier pump.

You can find positive/negative reviews for most any pump models.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am going to be researching on those all of you mentioned and decides on the brand and model. One more question. For my tank, how big of the skimmer do I need? (in terms of rated gallons). Should I go for 2 times the water volume or even more? If I remember correctly, last time I went with 1.6 times the size of my tank, but not sure whether I should go for bigger skimmer. Thanks.

Tank Specs
- 75 gallon display + 20 gallons water change tank + ~30 gallons sump (only 15 gallons of water when running) = 110 gallons (total)

I bought a Eshopps S150 from Aquatic Collection in Hayward. The skimmer comes with a Sicce pump and it works perfectly. Pump is quiet, and the skimmate is nice and dark. I always go with a better more reliable pump, if the pump dies I am out of a skimmer for a few days. Its like a car with a solid engine, why would you waste your time on a junk engine? No?

Maybe I've been out of it for too long ... what is a water change tank?

Is it just a part of the system that you can isolate, dump old water, then refil with new water (or even mix the salt in the tank) then you reconnect it?

If so ... that's awesome! If not .. hey, I invented something! :p

V

Back