Our mission

snowboarding

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for taking my dslr when I go snowboarding. I have a lowepro fastpack 250. I don't snowboard like a maniac, so the chances of my taking a major spill are almost nill. If I take a spill and damage my camera, the camera may be the least of my worries, haha. My concern is with wearing a back pack on the ski lift ... anyone have any thoughts? Seems like it may be a problem, but I'm sure other people do it!?!

I routinely wear a backpack while boarding. Not a large one mind you, but still. And it's fine, no problem. I haven't taken my dslr yet, but just make sure the backpack doesn't stick out too far or else you may find yourself sitting on the edge of the seat, with no bar and high winds :p One other concern would be how the cold would affect the camera. And if not the camera, then your hands? If you didn't have it enclosed in something, then might have to take your gloves off to avoid getting snow/water on it. Goodluck, and just remember to always fall forward :p

Hey Mitch, thanks for your thoughts :)
Here is a link to the backpack I have:
http://www.adorama.com/LPFP250BK.html?searchinfo=fastpack+250
Definitely larger than a camel-pack hydration shell, but not huge IMO. Also, I will not be stuffing it to capacity; probably just some pocket warmers (to keep the batteries warm?), and my camera, a lens or two, Kleenex, bottle of water ... small things and the like.
Skiing with a backpack I have done before, and I'd imagine it's easier to do that than board with a backpack. Never been boarding with a backpack though (but like I mention, it won't be heavy) but I am afraid it will drastically alter my center of gravity. Did you have any trouble initially?
About taking falls; I don't board too fast anyways. When I have "fallen" in the past I've always landed on my hind side, not my "back." Falling forward obviously poses no threat to the backpack and its goods :D
I won't have my camera out all the time, but since I am going to Tahoe (don't go all that often) I would like to bring my dSLR, esp. with all the snow that will be there!!! :D I don't have a problem taking my gloves off once or twice for some shots on the slopes if the condition permits; i.e. it is not snowing.
What is the lowest temperature a camera can take?

The pack I use is no camel-bak size thing either. Full on daypack a la northface style. Only things usually in it are some snacks, a bottle of water and usually my shell or sweatshirt ends up in it. No problems with center of mass, but I usually have no problem with body/balance control. I really would suggest to not switch lenses while on the slope if you don't have to.
You might also want to look into rainsleeves or something of the like. They're basically long plastic tubes. Covers the lens except for the very edge and covers the entire body with a hole cut out for the viewfinder. Pricey for what they are ($5 or so) but can be useful in this situation if all you need to do is turn on, maybe adjust aperture and speed and press the button. If you're manually focusing...well then you have more challenges ahead of you.

Don't ask me, I used to ride for Kemper, N boots, and The Ski Loft in Pa, your stuff would be shrapnel prior to my chicken thigh popping style shoulder issue :(

tuberider said:
Don't ask me, I used to ride for Kemper, N boots, and The Ski Loft in Pa, your stuff would be shrapnel prior to my chicken thigh popping style shoulder issue :(

Damn, you're old skool too! I used to ride a Burton-air with Sorels (aka ankle breakers). I've upgraded gear since then and still go almost every weekend. I'll be leaving Friday for some of this new snow=).

I also wear a pack snowboarding - Its a hydration pack with 950cc? of space in the main compartment - it nicely fits 8-12 dehydration drinks - generally pabst blue ribbon variety. I generally only go on powder days (powder whore for sure), and generally get in 4 runs and have a few frosties with buddies.

Lots of people pull off one arm when they ride the lift, and move the pack to your chest - keeps the straps from getting caught and making you look like a fool.

I have lots of friends who bring their smaller DSLR's out to shoot - the big camera's seem to be a bit much to carry all day, unless you are truly shooting for a magazine or something like that. Check out my buddies website - http://www.glacierworld.com/ and you can see the packs he uses while skiing and shooting.

-Kyle

Your friends website has a ton of beautiful pictures he as taken! :) I won't be going for "sports photography" per se, but should the opportunity arise, and I want my camera, I'd prefer to have it on me. I have an un-gripped Canon 40D, which is not big IMO; though larger than Canon's Rebel camera bodies. If I am going to be carrying a back pack I figure I may as well throw my camera in there :) Weight shouldn't be an issue.
I will definitely be taking your advice and letting on arm off/go and swinging the pack to the front when on the lift.
Thanks!! :D

40d has an operating range of 32-104°F/0-40°C. Your cards will run a lot slower the colder it gets. Make sure not to warm up the lens prior to putting it in the cold, do the opposite and keep it cooler.

BTW all's I did was went to the Canon website to look up the operating temp range ;)

YOU got me curious so I just had to know. I knew devices like Ipods wouldn't even go that low, but I've seen some many DSLR photographers in the snow so I just had to know. Can you let us know how it behaves it the cold? I'm super curious (even though I no longer own a DSLR..for now)?

dang it.... double post due to extreme activity on our network and web pages timing out :(

Oh, for sure; I'd gladly be willing to let you know how it goes -I'll probably throw up a pictures if I manage to get some sweet shots :)
I have no intention of ever leaving the camera, much less the backpack directly in or on the snow, so hopefully this prevents the camera from getting too cold too fast. I will go and buy a couple pockets warmers and place them in the camera compartment of my backpack; I'll keep some spares so I can always have one keeping things warm.
I am going to Denver in January as well, and I suspect the temperature will be in the 30's to 40's throughout my weekend there. I hope my 40D holds up okay :/
Are you in the market for another dSLR Gresham? If so, what options are you considering?

The warning I saw on one camera forum was not to keep the camera warm, or more so, the lens. heat packs can get up to 80-90F+ and going from that to cold can cause real problems :(

I am in the market but I need to wait for the insurance to send me a check for my last one. Another Nikon for sure since I lent a lens to a friend that was not in the stolen lot from my house. I may just go with another d80 or a d90.

I'm really not sure how big I want to go as I would rather put my money towards a bigger and better graphic tablet, like a Cintiq 21" (21" LCD graphic tablet).

Oh man, I totally missed that part of your last post! Hm, I guess my camera and one or two lenses are just going to have to deal with the cold. Maybe not so much in Tahoe, but more likely so in Denver. But even in Denver I will be wandering around going into shops and malls and such, so maybe it won't be that bad.
I wonder if @ 32*F or so, if the camera just slows down, or just simply doesn't work?

A good friend of mine is using a d90 right now, and he loves it to death. It's a sweet little camera.

When are you doing Denver? I can give you some names of stores to visit if you want and maybe some reefers to visit. Jake Adams is in Denver, well, Golden, but that's the same thing really :)

I think the batteries at 32f won;t work. That's the issue with the Ipod, or rather, what I was told by an Apple tech./

Jeebus, you know people in Denver too?! haha! :D I am going from the 15th to the 28th of January, not long at all. I am going with some friends, and I am not sure how they might take to me visiting other reefers while we're on vacation ;) But, if you have a list of stores with checking out in Denver, please, let me know -gladly check 'em out if time permits and all.

Let's just pray it's not 32* then :D

I know reefers in just about every major city in the US :lol:

Best one in Denver is AquaMart... http://www.aquamartonline.com/

The reefers in Denver are just as insane as us, if not more so as their average tank size is a few hundred gallons more then us. I've never seen so many 500g plus systems. Steve's 1200g tank is probably the nicest tank I have ever seen.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh6Cz_H8Uhg (video by Jake Adams)

Back