So why do people buy water?

Discussion in 'The Eutrophic Zone' started by scuzy, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

Really, there's only one? He's got his own little monopoly. I guess he's just got to price it low enough that customers still choose to buy it from him instead of make their own.

2. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

We started by mixing our own but we don't have an R/O up and running yet, so we went to buy R/O water and it costs us 75 cents a gallon. To get saltwater, it is only 25 cents more per gallon. This means Peter is not trying to mix it in his bedroom, on the carpet, with mom's spatula. Priceless!!

tankguy likes this.
  3. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

Pretty pricey at 75 cents/gallon, you may want to look into a nice inexpensive RO, some popping up on RC or craigslist

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Hahahahahahaa.... ok I've seen pictures of Peter, but this gives me an image of a kid much younger than that :D

5. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

6. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

I am getting an R/O soon, I have a line on a free unit. If we do the math, we currently don't spend that much on water. We only use 10 gallons a week - $10 total. If we buy salt and mix our own with store bought R/O, our cost actually goes up to $10.70 a week. Even if we make our own R/O and buy salt the cost is approx. $3.20 a week (not including new filters) so we spend an extra $6.80 a week for the convenience of not having to mix up. Once we get the 100g with sump and frag set up, it may make more financial sense. One thing that does bother me about R/O systems is the amount of water waste. Take an Apec for example, it wastes 4 gallons to make one gallon of R/O

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

That's normal for ro and probably what where you buy it from is wasting. The way to reduce that is use multiple membranes in line

8. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

That is correct, the waste water... some people use the waste for the washing machine and there are other units that may have 1:1 ratio. @gimmito has what I believe a zero waste system? Kati/Ani or was it Mary/Annie? (jk)

gimmito and fishdoctor like this.
  9. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

I am thinking we will have ours dump into a barrel in the yard so we can use it in the garden

Coral reefer likes this.
  10. xcaret

xcaret Supporting Member

That works!

11. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

You're in San Mateo right? Try testing your tap water. It may be low enough just to use DI which doesn't waste any water.

12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I would still use sediment and carbon filters pre di tho

xcaret likes this.
  13. If it helps anyone I have rodi for 50 cents per gallon, just sayin......... lol

Coral reefer likes this.
  14. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Delivered??

15. scuzy

scuzy Supporting Member

Over the long run just make your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. No, pick up only. I do have a 300 gallon container I loan out.

Coral reefer likes this.
  17. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

What is "waste water" you folks are talking about? :D