Reef nutrition

Solaris I5 LED lighting?

so how many out there using this lighting system?

I know it has a large initial cost, but I think in the long run it will be cheaper.

Ohh yah I'm new to salt water and you can consider this being my intro message. right now I'm still in the planning stages of converting my freshwater cichlid over to salt.

Hey Vento. I'm not sure if anyone has one of those setups but if someone does, it would be nice to hear their opinion.

/personal opinion
I wouldn't consider a solaris system. I have some experience working with LED setups and have also seen a photo of the inside of an older gen solaris. I doubt the guts have changed, but what I noticed was a horrible implementation for heatsinking. thermal management is one of the major considerations with high power LEDs. inefficient cooling of the junction, will cause LEDs to fail earlier than normal. Hopefully the new ones have changed.

from what I have been able to find online they have made seriuos improvements to their lighting system. One of the big ones is moving the manufacturing back to the US vs china. Call me biased that's fine, but know I'm Chinese And I have been to china many times and I have seen their "QA" or lack of more like it.

I found an online review of the LED lights and it was a re iewed pretty well. But what I want to know the long term quality. IE I don't want a bunch of the LEDs burning out on me after just 1 year. For there would no point in Having this system vs a traditional metal halide.

QA and improvements with new emitters won't solve the issue I have in mind. My issue is the physical heatsink-to-emitter path to pull heat from the emitter.

I like the design of the Aqua Illumination fixtures. They are modular so you can expand and repalce pieces. I haven't done my homework on the techno part but the concept is cool.

Back