Soli’s 80 Gallon Shallow Build

Discussion in 'Tank Journals' started by Solitaryensis, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Solitaryensis

Solitaryensis Supporting Member

Thanks, Arnold! The clams been doing well and has grown ever so slightly. Thanks again for the clam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Solitaryensis

Couple updated shots below. Tank seems to be chugging along.

Good news: I got a new clump of chaeto about a month ago and along with a new light it looks like I’m finally able to grow chaeto. It’s not growing super fast but def. does seem to be growling finally. Hopefully it really takes off soon.

Most of the LPS and SPS seem to be growing well but I am questioning my Alk and calc uptake. I am dosing about 11ml per day to keep my alk at 8.2 and calcium around 450 which seems awfully low. Alk is being measured by a Hannah checker. Thoughts?

Bad news: I still can’t seem to grow zoas and mushrooms. I recently added chemi pure blue in case there was some chemical warfare but that does not seem to have made a difference. So frustrating that my SPS are growing so well but I can’t keep a mushroom alive!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rostato, glee and Cheedo like this.
  3. MolaMola

MolaMola Supporting Member

Wow, looks awesome! 11mL sounds low to me; I dose more than that daily in my 22g. But your corals look healthy and growing. Do you do frequent water changes that replenish the Ca, Alk?
    I like those frags on the tonga branch up top that you were worried was too high. Think of it as a much nicer alternative to a magnetic frag rack stuck on the back wall. The open water under that branch looks very cool and highlights the awesome branch itself.
    Still weird about no luck with shrooms and zoas. Is your water too polished?

Coral reefer likes this.
  4. Solitaryensis

Thanks! I actually don’t change my water very often - maybe once every 3-5 weeks. I hadn’t checked my alk in months and it dropped to 7.5 so I’ll up my dosage. But I agree with you, it still seems awfully low.

My water is most def. not too polished. I have fairly high nitrates and phosphates which makes this mystery all the more difficult to understand. You’d think the zoas and chaeto would be thriving and the SPS not so much in this environment but it’s exactly the opposite.