Our mission

Some Pictures from my 120

Well, I setup the lights - still no canopy.

The ligts are being suspended via 2x4 that have the ends routed so it sits on the tank's trim's edge.

DSCN1442.jpg

DSCN1433.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1436.jpg

DSCN1448.jpg

DSCN1444.jpg

The images are pretty darn close to the real thing as far as lighting goes.

So here are the specs:

120g Oceanic 48x24x24
50g Sump (half filled at all times)
Euro-Reef 8-2
Return Pump is a Quiet One 4000

I have roughly seventy or so pounds of live rock which was cooked for approximately four and a half months. Yes, there is sand - roughly one-quarter inch or so (the jury is still out whether or not it will stay once the closed-loop is set up.

The closed loop will be powered by an Ampmaster 3000 and returned via an Oceansmotion 4-way (it has yet to be set up).

The lighting is two 250w MH DE in RO3 pendants with 12k Reeflux bulbs.

The stand is approximately 38" so the top of the tank is about 5'6" - too tall for some folks but perfect height for me (5'3"). No more bending down to look at the tank!

No CA reactor up yet. I don't plan on setting it up until I absolutely need it.

Since the frags were put into the tank this weekend. I am still acclimating them to the light, and will begin moving them up on the rock work.

I have to admit I have been neglecting them so many have actually browned out. My 58g tank will be redone at some point soon as the anthelia is just ridiculously over-grown right now. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is some softie chemical warfare that is also going on in that smaller tank which is causing the sps to stn and rtn.

I really want to make sure I get the three basics going on - good water movement, water quality, and lighting consitant before I start adding anything to the tank.

Feeding a lone baby perc. is a pain "oooooooo...there's the food....wooohoooo....wow, it sunk to the bottom...ummmm...I'm not getting any new food, huh?"

I had 4 fish die in my tank....I think the 6 line killed them and then the algae bloom and now some color loss in my sps..... oh well. You don't have instructions on the CA reactor do you?

Do a search on JDieck and K2R on RC. He gives a good description of what you're supposed to do. I think the thread was back in early 2005.

I put in a DJ panel in; however rather than cleaning up underneath sump area it seemed to make it worse. Now I have cords hanging over the sump rather than hiding it next to the outlet which is next to the wall.

I'll try to take pictures tonight.

I'm baby sitting some corals right now, so the tank is rather full. I have an order for a cleanup crew coming in the next few days. There is a little bit of cyano growth (apparently a full cycle does not begin until you stick lights on *grumble grumble*)

The water changes are helping, and the skimmer is pulling out gunk that I didn't know even existed - there's only one lonely baby clown.

He discovered that there is a bottom to his/her domain a week ago after being in there for two months. It was a rather large milestone.

The Oceansmotions 4-way came in and was picked up on Saturday. I now need to find the time to plumb everything up.

I'll probably work on the top-off first before I get the closed-loop setup.

I always try to have enough room when I setup a stand to have enough room to stick the width of my hand in the back (have to pull cord through and stuff).

The area directly behind the tank and the wall would fit an Ampmaster easily if it weren't for the stupid tabs on the pump (probably a good six inches between the back of the tank and the wall).

I will probably run the intake for the closed loop via spa-flex, and the return will be via combination of flex or plain jane regular pvc.

I should note the back of the stand has about four inch open space all along the back for ventilation and to run pvc and cords.

I learned my lesson from the first stand project if you enclose the stand completely you have to run fans otherwise the humidity will lead to mold inside the stand.

Those should grow nicely in your tank - to bad you're just coral sitting on some of them.

You could always get a frag from each of the coral you're coral sitting. :)

Back