Jestersix

some sick peoples out there

I've heard about this before - a neighbor across from my uncles fish ship poured bleach in the show goldfish (orandas) tank.

Yup all too common. Bleach pills (not liquid bleach usually), real pennies or copper slugs, copped, etc are all very common for such things. Every few years it happens locally.

What? Really? Is there any motive other than pure vandalism?

Could be just stupidity? My BOSS tossed some coins in my tank at work as a joke, until I told him that it could have killed everything, which he apologized for...he just didn't KNOW it was toxic. Bleach pills, on the other hand...

V

you know.******* (ya, I'm not posting it ;)) would do the same. It has a bleach like smell but would totally disappear in a reef leaving no residue nor smell after a little bit, oxidizing everything in the process :(.

Vincerama2 said:
What? Really? Is there any motive other than pure vandalism?

Could be just stupidity? My BOSS tossed some coins in my tank at work as a joke, until I told him that it could have killed everything, which he apologized for...he just didn't KNOW it was toxic. Bleach pills, on the other hand...

V

Motives? Anything under the sun, didn't like how the store treated you, don't like to owner, disgruntled ex-employee, competitor, etc. Yes, all an act of vandalism.

insurance scam! The owner claimed they smelled chlorine, and that was the cause. could have easily added a dechlorinator. by the time the news cast arrived at night some of the tanks already had new fish.

If you can smell bleach in aquarium water the livestock is a goner. Dechlor can't reverse the effects of bleach on the livestock and if you can smell it, the damage has all ready been done to the livestock!!

I doubt it was an insurance scam. Do you know if the store has a QT area in the back room or if there is a local wholesaler? An empty fish store is a dying fish store and most owners would walk through fire to ensure they had some stock present. Having had a minor indecent like that at where I worked I can attest to how quickly stores will restock in a situation like that.

Yeah, the chlorine works fast... as soon as it goes in the water everything dies!

Usually somebody that does this has one of 2 motives. Personal Vendetta, or the "Set the Fish Free-Willie-No Fur Coats Shut-All-Pet-Shop-Boys Tree Hugging Loonies"

:)

Of the dozens of cases I have head none were ever accounted to ""Set the Fish Free-Willie-No Fur Coats Shut-All-Pet-Shop-Boys Tree Hugging Loonies". PETA types tend to release things, not kill them.

Sfork said:
well they didn't smell it in the water, they only smelled in in the back employee room.

Not what the newspaper said:

Toronto Sun said:
The dead fish were discovered after customers alerted employees to a strange, bleach-like smell coming from the back room that houses aquariums at the five-month-old store

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/03/03/13103016.html

Seems the backroom housed the aquariums and that is where the small was coming from.

BTW... what did I say about a LFS with no fish and how quickly LFS will restock?

Co-owner Adam Gharavi said:
We can’t open, we’re a fish store with no fish

it just doesn't add up to me. If only the fish in the back were dead why couldn't they open. I'd assume most of the tanks are connected, so why did someone have to travel to the back to find dead fish, the fish in the front should have been dead too. I'd assume you have to dump ALOT of beach to kill a whole fish store so quickly that the fish couldn't recover. Since no one noticed the fish in the front dying they could have been moved into a QT system. Why couldn't they close for the rest of the day, why were they so sure it was bleach, who in their right mind would buy a fish from a fish store full of dead fish. When the news crew came they had new fish already, but there were still some tanks with dead fish aren't they all connected?

edit: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/local/article/71506--alleged-pet-store-poisoning

see there are still some fish alive hours later when the news arrived, when they noticed they could have started saving stuff, if they didn't have enough mixed salt to save the reef species then they could have easily moved the fresh water stuff. they're SOOOO sure the insurance is gonna pay them they don't even bother.

A fish store with no stock is a bad sign to customers. Typically you get 2 chances with customers. No store owner in their right mind would open if they had no fish as they would loose those customers.

A little bleach goes a long way so no, a lot is not needed.

A lot of fish stores have a "fish room" and a "dry goods" room so I would assume the "backroom" was the "fish room". However, I did not see the newscast, go a link?

Not all stores run central systems, some even run hybrid central systems with some on their own and some stores run multiple central systems. The store I managed did multiple central systems with some loan systems as well. We ran the same way at the wholesale outfit I managed.

Gresh, I would agree PETA types set things free... But sometimes there are radicals/wakos! Such as the Abortion Doctor Killers for example! Crime Justified by Means!

Back