Kessil

Sources of good dry rock?

I've used the bowl/ lace rock from DPV & PetClub w/o problems and found good shapes for aquascaping. It needs cleaning before use though.

Unfortunately no Tony, but, BRS is doing free shipping on dry rock IIRC>

Aquascene used to sell it but it's not super easy to get. They want you to buy a pallets worth, junk and all. You also pay by the weight and the pallet itself ways like 100lbs so you get a bit ripped off.

I bought all of my dry rock from Marcorocks and am really happy with the purchase. Good sizes and shapes, very porous and lightweight. Cheap and quick shipping too.

Do you need a large piece of LR to make dry rock LR? I was thinking about getting a good amount of dry rock from BRS and a small piece of LR from the LFS.

No, you don't need that much. Just get some live sand or a piece or two of liverock to combine with the dry rock and it will all be live in a few months.

Well depends what you are calling "live rock" if you simply mean covered in bacteria and to deal with the nitrogen cycle, then hell you don't need any LR to start with. If you mean filled with a bunch of microfauna, then your dry rock might turn to live rock, however more likely than not you'll have very little diversity. However over a long enough time that'll occur naturally in your closed systems with nothing but LR to start with.

So the question should be what do you want? All dry rock will turn "live" for bacteria, you'll get coraline algae covering it (assuming parameters are right), and corals will grow on it.

Back