Cali Kid Corals

SPS Id: Red Planet?

I got a frag of this coral from the last BAR swap. It was labeled as Red Planet and I have no reason to doubt the label, however whenever I see Red Planet pictures I see branching, acro type corals. The one I have grows just like an encrusting montipora w/o a branch in sight. It really doesn't bother me as I like the encrusting monti's but I'm wondering if it is indeed a Red Planet and if so why doesn't it grow branches? I do have other acros that are shy about growing branches and prefer to encrust, so maybe it's something about my tank.

it might take a for it to start branching. I had an acro that puddled for what seemed like over a year before doing anything.

My RP has yet to grow any branches it's a big blob on my overflow, it will take off once it fully encrusts.

It's for sure an Acro and not a Monti, it has scutes.

Will echo what the others have said. I would bet it is indeed RP. I have read many stories of how they enctust for a long time before taking off.

Coral reefer said:
What are scutes?

From wiki "A scute or scutum (Latin scutum, plural: scuta "shield") is a bony external plate or scale, as on the shell of a turtle, the skin of crocodilians, or the feet of some birds."

tuberider said:
Coral reefer said:
What are scutes?

From wiki "A scute or scutum (Latin scutum, plural: scuta "shield") is a bony external plate or scale, as on the shell of a turtle, the skin of crocodilians, or the feet of some birds."
Failing to completely rinse the soap off will irritate a scutum :davie:

screebo said:
tuberider said:
Coral reefer said:
What are scutes?

screebo said:
tuberider said:
Coral reefer said:
What are scutes?

and also make them very slippery.

I also see a branch tip forming there at the top. Count yourself lucky, I much prefer to see an acro encrust and cement it'self firmly in place, cover up the glue, and look natural before it starts throwing out branches.

Back