Kessil

SPS with polyp extension

I've seen many people tanks and their sps polyps, especially on acros, are fully extended. How come mine are not? At first I thought it could be from the flactuation of adding the 2 parts but now I have a Calcium Reactor and I feel the alk is pretty constant. Am I missing something?

Yes, they do extend at night from what I can see. They are growing fine too and the the color are getting better since I got the Calcium Reactor. My Pocillopora and Birdsnest polyps are out. So is the green slimmer. I especially notice it on the milliepora, torts, Steve Elias and other acros that I'm not sure of their exact names. I'm a sps newbie so forgive me. Also the sunset monti polps are not fully extended during the day but at night they are.

I haven't seen any red bugs.

Nukeproof,

Pollups extension are usually encouraged by random moderate to strong flows. Also, just because you dont see redbugs doesnt mean you dont have them, take a look at each acros base very carefully at night with a flash light and see if you can see anything small yellow bugs crawling around. The first acros that looses colors and pollups extension is the tricolor acros when red bug is present in my experience.

In nature, most polyps are not extended due to predators/nipping. In our aquariums it could take a while for them to realize there is no danger and to change their "instinctual" responses.

I've been keeping an eye on my flame for months but I haven't caught him yet. Sometimes, he gets close but he seem to be picking on the rock close to it. As for the red bug, are there any RTN / STN on the corals? Mine doesn't have any so I just want to make sure what I need to look for. I do have a frag of tri color that I got from Lucky Goldfish in Oakland but the color is holding up.

Patrick - I was noticing the same thing, polyps not extending that used to. checked all my params, everything seemed fine and I was mystified til last night when I saw a nasty ugly hairy crab in the middle of an acro colony calmly pulling out polyps and eating them one by one! The thing is a good 1 1/2-2" wide with big claws and I haven't been able to catch him. He's having nothing to do with glass jars baited with scallop. I tried attaching some scallop to a bamboo skewer and he does come out and pick at it, but won't come far enough out of the colony to grab him. Tried skewering him (yugh) but he's too fast and tough shelled. So, I'm in a battle of wits with a crab - and the crab is winning. Very humbling.

Now that you brought up a crab. I did see one about 6 months back but I haven't seen him for a while. I guess I need to stake out at night.

Back