Our mission

Stand for the 40G breeder.

Bought the wood already. Waiting for my friend to come home so I get my tools back. The drawing below is the plan. Do you see any problem with this design? It's 3/4" plywood. Should I add a center support or it's strong enough? I think it is strong enough but not too sure. I don't want to over build like the last stand...

The stand is 36" long x 18" wide x 36 3/4" high.
Stand.jpg

Not sure why the colors looks all weird after I save it. ???

You should add a center support or add more cross beams and support it with an additional piece of plywood on each side.

I'd worry about lateral movement in what you have, the doors won't provide much of support, and with only plywood as legs that thing might collapse like a house of cards. A sheet of 1/8" ply across the back could fix that though.

There will be a 3" crossbeam (top and bottom/front and back). If I add a center support, do you think the additional side support are needed?? There are side support in the back but not the front..

If you are going to but on the doors, I would put in a a center brace in the front and the rear. You would see them anyways. If you are going to keep it open, I would frame it out of 2x4's and then cover it with 1/8 plywood.

What is your crossbeam supported by though? I don't see how it is supported. You either have to notch out the side pieces so the cross beam is supported or you need to add an additional support on the sides to support the cross beams.

I would add center support in the back.

Add a removable center support in the front - use a pocket screw on the left and the right top and bottom of the center support thereby making it removable for getting to the sump

[quote author=Tumbleweed link=topic=5092.msg62646#msg62646 date=1225949117]
If you are going to but on the doors, I would put in a a center brace in the front and the rear. You would see them anyways. If you are going to keep it open, I would frame it out of 2x4's and then cover it with 1/8 plywood.
[/quote]
Try to stay away from 2x4.

[quote author=iani link=topic=5092.msg62647#msg62647 date=1225949135]
What is your crossbeam supported by though? I don't see how it is supported. You either have to notch out the side pieces so the cross beam is supported or you need to add an additional support on the sides to support the cross beams.
[/quote]

It will be glued and screwed to the top/bottom and sides.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=5092.msg62648#msg62648 date=1225949153]
I would add center support in the back.

Add a removable center support in the front - use a pocket screw on the left and the right top and bottom of the center support thereby making it removable for getting to the sump
[/quote]
I will use glue/pocket screws for everything. If the center support is needed, I won't use glue for that.

If you have the right support of the cross beams you won't need the center brace. Glueing a screwing is not enough to properly support the cross beams. A better idea would be to notch of the front and back sides. Glue and nail 2 pieces 36x3 or 4" for each the front and back cross beams. You would need 4 pieces total.

I see how you do the top piece. Your sides are 2" and you have a bunch of cross beams. I guess adding the sides and center support is much easier ;D.

I over did mine. If you just notch out your side pieces front and back and glue/nail a couple 3/4 inch plywood for each front and back support that will be fine. Although a upside down U shapped center support going front to back would be better.

I think I will add the side support and do an upside down U shapped center support going front to back like you said. I will see how strong that is then add the center support if needed.

I don't think that 3 inch cross beam is going to do anything against sheering though. You need a full sheet across the back, you can drill the hell out of it and cut whatever holes you need for pipe access, but the lateral strain is going to be there.

There are 4x3" cross beams (top and bottom/front and back) and 4x3" side support for the cross beam.. I think I will make the side support much bigger for the back but I like to leave access room for the front. We will see what happen after I put it together. I really think it's strong enough..

Very well, good thing about the sheet of plywood, is it's always something you can to the back after it's done.. just when you finish give a good push on the side.. (mimic one of your kids running into it) if it it's not rock solid, put the plywood on

And with 4x3 for the side (legs?) supports, I don't think a center support is necessary, not over a 36" span.

50% done.. Will work on the doors tomorrow.. I don't know if I will paint or stain it yet. I bought good plywood. It's kinda waste if I paint it..

stand-2.jpg

A stand is not a stand without a tank ;D..

standandtank.jpg

Back