Neptune Aquatics

Stand in progress...

Hi !

I have been having a streak of bad luck (second time no job I know it sucks for a lot of people) but keep myself busy.
I posted a tank for sale on CL, a 90RR, just the tank since I need to come up with rent money.
Someone e-mailed me about the tank but offered to buy the tank and stand and since it was a week before end of the month why not?
A nice girl/lady showed up to look at the stand/tank but the stand was too high (36") I thought she was to pass on the deal but then she wondered if I could make a shorter stand for the same $$ to that I accepted.
I have built some stands in the past but I think this is my best work yet.
It has been a few days, less than a week and painting it is all there is left so I thought to share the DIY with you guys before it goes to it's new home.
It's structural 2x4 with 3/4" cabinet quality plywood all around, glue and screws pocket holed from a cheap HD kit.

Here is the stand with temporary hinged and knobs, the actual hinges are European type and the knobs I have not seen yet, she's supposed to bring them any time.

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

...here it is with the euro hinges already in place and again, temp. door knobs.
She has chosen blue stain for the stand so the only thing to do is for her to look at the sample piece of ply with the blue paint and give it a go.

Picture142.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Picture139.jpg

[quote author=drdoolittle link=topic=6626.msg85634#msg85634 date=1235969283]
Nice.. mario.. damn you got somd DYI skills..I'll hit you up for some pointers on my next stand build.:)

[/quote][quote author=Lyn link=topic=6626.msg85635#msg85635 date=1235969351]
Wow, It looks really nice! Very clean. :D
[/quote]

Thanks !

It's really encouraging being on BAR and read on all your tanks, projects, DIY's
I have one project that has been sitting at my brothers basement for some time now, a 70G Oceanic Peninsula tank.
Is drilled on one of the shorter sides for that purpose with two 2" bulkheads; regular glass and I might start on the stand next week.
My 90 upgrade is light years away due to this economy "downgrade" besides, my wife is not well talked into it yet, my son is (seven year old is easy to convince) but my wife does not like the idea of a bigger tank.
Again, thanks! your comments make me feel better

...an update on the stand.
Weather has not been nice but turned really good past week, received the stain and applied a coat, last night rained and has been little on/off clouds sun today. Tuesday I might put another coat and Wednesday if the weather is nice, the clear coat.

Picture170.jpg

No, it was a no go and one more week to get the stain, it was too much blue.
I showed her a piece of the same wood stained blue and she decided to go with a natural wood color, it's Minwax Cherry.
Seems the large stand in blue would not blend with the room. Hope to deliver it by this coming weekend. She lives couple blocks away from my place but the stand and tank are at my brother's, he has a Suburban so he'll help me with the move.

Stand got the final stain coat today, tomorrow if is not windy I'll put the top coat semi-gloss clear spar urethane

[quote author=kurplunk link=topic=6626.msg89120#msg89120 date=1237234189]
Great looking stand. Any tips on using gel stains?
[/quote]

I have not used gel stain before, might try it at home first, my kitchen cabinets need to be painted again, landlord provided basic white cabinets but they are wooden so I'm going to stain them old maple.
I like the two in one (stain+urethane), just have to sand it with fine paper or steel wool before the next coat, it makes a huge difference.

[quote author=itsacrispy link=topic=6626.msg89148#msg89148 date=1237240701]
Hey Mario, I remember seeing the stand when I stopped by. It's really solid looking and I love the open bottom!
[/quote]

Thanks !

It's almost finished, nice day today but little cool and the third coat is now drying for the final clear coat tomorrow pending weather is nice.

FINALLY !

The tank and stand have a new home, did not get a picture of the stand at the place where my brother and I took it.
She is planning on hanging the Aquactinics MH fixture over the tank and I think going to help her on this one.
Still, a lot of work to do on the tank, plumbing, sump and transfer the livestock from the old plexi.

Tomorrow I'm redoing my kitchen cabinets, landlady does not want to fix some issues so might as well do it myself.
Possibly I'm setting the 30 Oceanic cube tomorrow too at home and start the cycle...
Look for the tank thread.

Back