Neptune Aquatics

Starfish?

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
We spotted this thing today - looks like a developing starfish?

a343b8eaabf5e0f0492250ce5546c651.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asterina Starfish. As long as they don't get out of hand they aren't bad for a tank, but if your nutrient levels are high they can multiply quickly and take over a tank. I remove them by hand everytime I see them (usually on the glass at night) in order to keep them in check. A Harlequin shrimp will feast on them, but the problem is once they are all gone the shrimp will starve. Usually reefers rehome them at that point.

Asterina. Like a small starfish that can take different shapes/number of arms. Stays small. Many people consider it a pest because they can multiply and go everywhere in the tank including on corals.

Only those that are dying and melting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is a debated topic, but I and many others have seen them eat healthy zoas. Generally only when they get to very high numbers, and they seem to prefer small type zoas. And people hypothesize there are different types of asterinas, some that are more likely to eat them.

Suffice it to say that there's enough anecdotal evidence of them occasionally eating Zoas that you want to be careful they don't overpopulate.

Back