Reef nutrition

Steinhart Aquarists head to the Philippines

Matt_Wandell said:
sfsuphysics said:
So are you guys trying to actively grow out captured "spawns" (in the ocean? in captivity?) Or what?

CAS is a member of an initiative that already does this in the Caribbean: SECORE.
http://www.secore.org/

The idea is that we harvest the sperm/egg packets, allow them to fertilize in vitro, wait until they develop into planulae, and then give them an opportunity to settle onto appropriate substrate where they can then be grown out in captivity or in the ocean. Simple in theory, difficult in practice. Especially when you had no idea in advance you'd be doing it! ;)

The technique could also certainly be used to manage and repopulate coral reefs with small colonies like Ken Nedimyer's foundation is doing in the Caribbean:
http://www.coralrestoration.org/CRF/index.php

Over the next few days our biggest concern is documenting everything that is going on in excruciating detail to expand the knowledge base.

BAR has hosted Mitch Carl who did his talk on SECORE. I think some of the newer members missed that one, perhaps you guys could do an update... or I could get Dirk P. out for BAYMAC next year???? I'd love to talk to you guys about this ;)

sid700 said:
So the first guy to find a new species, does he get to name it? Mmmm....Sepia rossitangas, Lobophyllia andthewandells.

Stay safe.

That is big no no. You don't name something after yourself. You have some one else describe it and have them name it after you....

Johnrandallia nigrirostris

Oh how descriptive Johnrandalli
is.... at describing John Randall!!!

After a 14 hour plane flight and a 3 hour drive, Steinhart Aquarium biologists Bart Shepherd, Rich Ross and Matt Wandell arrived at Club Ocellaris and were treated to a breakfast of garlic rice, eggs and French toast.

What kinda breakfast is that? No balut, bangus, or mangoes for breakfast? :D

For Norm

230279_1686942297346_1351327790_1351775_1825341_n.jpg

tuberider said:
That little fish is stupid.

Dude it's one of those set-up shots. I bet that is in an aquarium in PI and Rich tossed it in there. The other shot had a goldfish I bet :lol:

Pretty damn cool Rich!!!!

Back