Jestersix

Steinhart Aquarium

So I went there for the 1st time a couple of weeks ago...

I saw the corals/giant clams from the platform before you go downstairs... I saw the feeding event... But where are the corals??? I saw mainly fish. Where are the LPS/SPS? I thought this was the largest Coral Reef in the west. As far as I know... My fav is still the one in the lobby of Marvel (off 237)

The bad part is you can only get in if you have a friend working there!

I'm planning a lunch soon with a camera :) My iPhone pix sucked last time.

The corals litter the main tank, you didn't see them?

largerst/deepest REEF tank on the planet!!!

The thing with the main reef tank is that in a sense it's like any of our tanks, just way bigger! That means that getting everything dialed in takes time, and because its that much larger it takes a bit more time, in the same way that a larger tank can "weather the storm" longer when it comes to having your parameters go out of whack, the same can be said about getting the parameters into the ideal zone. It really has come leaps and bounds since when they first opened.

Also to stress what Gresham has said, it's a big honkin tank! Corals don't grow any faster just because the tank is bigger, that 2 inch frag you got will grow basically the same speed in your tank as it would in their tank. I mean hell I donated a bucket of larger corals (not frags), and I doubt that really will make a dent at all (assuming they go into that tank). Corals take time to grow, and they're not going to rip out a 3 foot wide colony of something just so they can have it on display.

Granted it's been a couple months since I last went but the best places to see corals at eye level would be around the corner from the big window, and another big window (just not as big), or at the main floor looking down into the sandy area with the clams.

orientalexpress said:
could you imagine the magnesium is 1100 and is need to bump it up to 1400?how many of truckload magflake to bump it up?:)

lapsan

2400 pounds got it from ~1150ish to ~1300ish. That's one full pallet. ;)

Matt_Wandell said:
orientalexpress said:
could you imagine the magnesium is 1100 and is need to bump it up to 1400?how many of truckload magflake to bump it up?:)

lapsan

2400 pounds got it from ~1150ish to ~1300ish. That's one full pallet. ;)
Damnnnnn ,do you mix them first or just dumping in the sump?:)

lapsan

We dumped two bags a day in the degas tower that gets something like 1200 gpm.

A 1 foot coral looks like a tiny frag in that tank. We recently placed 90 corals in the buddha window and it barely looks populated. :D

The corals are starting to look like they are growing. After a few more major tweaks to the system, I think we will be in good shape.

Back