Neptune Aquatics

Steinhart Volunteers - for those who expresed interest from Matt's Presentation

I got the application back from her but it looks like it is only weekdays 9-5 that they are looking for people based on the info. I could only do weekends with my work schedule.

They take weekend help as well, even one time help for moving Bryan, I double checked on that. If you like just apply and see if they will take you (us) to be in the volunteer pool.

OK guys, I got accepted! I am probably going to help a a project with them next week. I have given your names to them as well, hopefully it will help speed interviews up a little. Did anyone else hear back yet?

I just had my "interview" Sounds like all they are essentially looking for is tour guides. Not really sure that is the route I was looking to take. Is anyone else already working there or have an idea if I should talk to somene else?

Tour guides? Ouch. I love that place but "Hey I have years of hands on experience with corals and marine life in captivity, I'd love to volunteer"

"Ok sounds good, lets have you point out all the Nemos to the kiddies"

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3159.msg40885#msg40885 date=1208482202]
I just had my "interview" Sounds like all they are essentially looking for is tour guides. Not really sure that is the route I was looking to take. Is anyone else already working there or have an idea if I should talk to somene else?
[/quote]

cool, I'll be a tour guide =) I like interacting with public. I don't mind doing any volunteer work, as long as it's not janitorial service =P

What Rosalind is looking for and what you actually end up doing don't have much in common. Once you are approved, I get ahold of Matt and let him know you are available.

When I originally went in, it was for to be a diver, I got asked to help with a penguin study. :D

You would rather dive that study penguins?? YOU SUCK! :D

When you do dive though you'll have to let me know when, I plan on getting a year pass, so I can point at a particular coral and you can pull out the bone sheers and get me a frag ;)

Well. I am assuming I am approved. I got a bunch of paperwork and met with someone for about an hour today. The paperwork though seems to follow the tour guide thing i was speaking about. Essentially it is a course registration form for exhibit training and basic orientation. The other stuff I got was a membership application (apparantely they want all of their volunteers to be members.I wouldn't mind doing tours once in a while but for god sake I am an accountant. How many accountants do you know that are good public speakers.

The guy I spoke to, Peter I think was his name seemed to know very little about aquariums and took me on a brief tour when we were done. Said they wanted all of their volunteers to do a minimum of 2 2hour tour sessions a month. when I told him I also was interested in doing some behind the scenes stuff, he gave me someone's name to look up (David Chan) and told me I should try to contact him through the staff directory. He also mentiond he would express my interest to Rosiland. I came out of there all confused.

Yes, BTW I am a PADI advanced open water diver. Thanks for the help Rich.

I know David, he took most of the BAR donations from me. I don't know Peter, but I sent a list of BAR people to Rosiland and I interviewed with her. I didn't get any paperwork to do, but I did help with the ray and turtle pond with Rich already. Sounds like you went threw something different than I did.

Back