Jestersix

STN and RTN happening...

dochou

Supporting Member
Well I'm hating myself right now for using Chemiclean. I had a small amount of cyano and decided to use CC. I've used it in the past in my office nano tank. I had no negative effects from it and thought it would be harmless in my main tank at home. It's a mixed reef. I have a bunch of SPS frags and mini colonies. Many started as tiny frags I got from club members at the frag swaps and they grew in nicely in my tank.
Well with the use of CC, I did something really stupid.... I didn't follow directions. I didn't run activated carbon and do a 20% water change until 1 week later because I forgot about it. The skimmer was left on. By 1 week, the SPS started to slightly bleach. I quickly did a 30% water change and got carbon running. 24 hours later the skimmer quit foaming and ran normally. I assumed that the Chemiclean got filtered out by the carbon. I ten repeated another 30% water change.
The next day I noticed some RTN on a couple acros. The STN on another couple colonies. Now 90% of my acros are wiped out by STN or RTN. The monti's all did fine and and the Pocillopora suffered a polyp recession but should make it. A couple torts got partial STN and slight bleeching.
Damn... I'm so mad at myself for using this product without thinking of the possible consequences and without following directions closely. It sucks. Now it's going to take a long time for me to rebuild my acro collection. I didn't have super expensive specimens but they're still special to me. I had used CC before in my office nano with out a water change or running carbon and had no negatives affects; but it's mainly a softies tank.
Thanks for reading my rant.

Sucks man. I probably got some of what you’re missing for you.
On another note just use some gfo if you don’t already for red slime is what I do.

This is unfortunate, sorry to hear. I know of another reefer who didn’t do water changes after running cc and his tank was fine. But I believe he didn’t have acros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sucks man. I probably got some of what you’re missing for you.
On another note just use some gfo if you don’t already for red slime is what I do.
Thanks MIke. I'm letting things recover now. The Bondolo blue milli frag was growing out really nicely and then this happened. Initially I thought it survived the crash and it looked fine throughout the past 2 weeks, then suddenly overnight, the whole thing was white and dead. I loved that frag.
Yeah I run GFO all the time. Phosphates are undetectable.
On the bright side, the elegance frag you gave me is doing great in it's new spot. It seems to have pepped up after the whole ordeal. I think running carbon helped. There must have been some kinda chemical warfare with the leather colony that it was next to.

Back