Reef nutrition

super reef octopus 1000 or 2000 internal

hey everyone was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this skimmer and also do the space saver versions of skimmers work as good as the normal versions i like the idea of space saver but think if i had to just ck the pump have to pull the hole skimmer out would be the pain
whats another cone skimmer for about the same price think best i saw was $275to350

I have the 5000 cone skimmer running on my some 275Gish system. Had it about 6 months and been very happy with it. The only issue with the space saver versions is that they are harder to clean. I have the regular version.

I have a reef octopus 2000 that I turn off regularly and never have any issues turning it back on.
I turn it off once a week during water change.. or it freaks out.

It is about 8 months old. I honestly have not even cleaned it yet.. I think I'll pull it out today and give it a once over.

cool let me know if u see any wear on the shaft or anything and do u think the 2000 is over kill for a 55 with a 40 gal sump or would the 1000 be better

I think the 2000 would probably be a bit overkill unless you run an extremely heavy bioload, and/or do plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the future.

I run the 2000 with about 150 gal of water and a light bio load.
I only empty the cup about once a week. If I mess around and feed heavy every two days.

I get a thick BLACK skimate.

I'll report any wear after maint today... I cant say which skimmer for a 55.. Im a nub to be sure and will only coment on my personal experience.

I had a power outage the other day and it responds much better then my old BM 200 used to. Seemed like it kicked right back on with not issues.

ok ty everyone im going to choose this skimmer hope to get this skimmer in a few months as im in the build process got my return pump on order

can any one help more with what size to go with the 1000 0r 2000 i do plan on upgrading but by then they might have a new and better skimmer i also plan on running a reactor to so does that help the skimmer or make it work harder

Reefcrazy81 said:
ok ty everyone im going to choose this skimmer hope to get this skimmer in a few months as im in the build process got my return pump on order

can any one help more with what size to go with the 1000 0r 2000 i do plan on upgrading but by then they might have a new and better skimmer i also plan on running a reactor to so does that help the skimmer or make it work harder

The XP 2000 seen in person is a large skimmer. I'm thinking you'd be fine with the XP 1000. I've seen these skimmers in action and they work well with the bubble blaster pumps. I was looking at these cone skimmers as well, but for my sump, I didn't like the water level requirement. They operate at six inches of water and my sump is designed for around 10 inches. Yes, I could raise my skimmer, but I'd rather not and I'm also limited on height in the cabinet. Make sure you plan your sump accordingly.

Double check, then triple check not only the foot print where the skimmer will go (don't forget any pipes or anything that might get in the way, but also check vertical clearance to see if you can remove the skimmer cup, and do periodic maintenance on it.

I literally built my stand and sump around my SRO 2000.
I run my sump at 10 in of water so I built a stand.. buzzes like a mo fo.
Its a beast for a 120 tank.. gut I was thinking tangs when I bought it.

ok im going to make a stand for mine when i get it im thinking im going to make it out of 1/4 inch glass or plexi might just be the stand is not sturdy so its vibrating . im also thinking that i might make it part of the sump by silicone to the walls

Back