High Tide Aquatics

Sutro Bath Evening / Night Shoot

kinetic

Supporting Member
I'd like to extend an invitation out to all BAR folks to come to a shoot at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco. It's a informally organized shoot, where we're just going to walk around the area and take late afternoon / evening / night photos of the area.

I'm the kind of person who can spend an entire day in one spot, but people are more than welcome to come and go whenever they'd like.

Everyone's welcome, checkout this San Francisco Bay Area Shooters thread for details:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sfbas/discuss/72157602015996515/

When the sun sets we're going to hookup with the SooCool.com group to do some light painting (I'm sure Eric is going to that one too).

Here's the SooCool thread: http://www.soocool.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5724

I have an idea in mind that isn't exactly light painting, but similar, that I'll be trying.

I'll be there that day, for sunset and on. There are some great shots on Flicker from this location for those that are interested.

Too much equipment. :D

Gonna be bringing the following:

D2X w/17-55mm f/2.8 AFS
70-200mm f/2.8 AFS
300mm f/4 AFS
Two SB-800s
Tripod + ballhead
105mm VR
Cokin filters w/2 and 3 stops
IR filter
ND filter
Release cord

Gonna shove it all into a backpack for the hike.

how are you using the IR filter? I've never used one before.

This is what I'm bringing:

D80

Lenses:
Nikkor 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VRII
Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D
Nikkor 10.5mm F/2.8 Fisheye (just in case)
Tokina 12-24mm F/4

Filters:
Hoya Pro1 D Circular Polarizers for the day shots
Hoya HMC solid ND's in case I don't need to stack my Cokin's...
Cokin P holder with 72/77mm adapter rings
Cokin P wide holder for my wide angle (still can see the edges at 12mm, but not as bad)
Cokin 4x, 8x Solid ND's
Cokin 4 Star (cross screen) filter (i'm trying some cool light painting thing, hopefully this works)
HiTech 4 stop and 6 stop GND for sunset shots

Equip:
Bag - Slingshot 100AW (hopefully it holds all that gear)
Pod - Fiesol Tripod / Ball Head / Nodal Ninja Pano Head (who knows? hehe)
IR Remote Shutter Release (3 of them in case any run out of batts)
6 gigs of SD cards, 40g independent storage device
and my secret weapon, a tiny torch lamp ;)

was that too granular?

Not at all actually.

Gonna use the IR filter for whatever is around, especially if there are trees in the area. I don't use it enough so just gonna do some experimenting. You basically just set manual white balance, slap the filter on the lens, and just snap a shot. The rest of IR is achieved through processing.

You're bringing a lot of backup gear at the end of that list. I'm just shoving all the gear into a North Face backpack for the hike up and down.

are we actually hiking somewhere? I know there's a trail that goes all the way to the bridge or so... but at that time of night, I doubt I'd want to do it. Just trees over there at night...

buy a camera... improve the tank... buy a camera... improve the tank... I'll get the camera at some point but I just haven't been able to sqeeze it into the budget. I'll be there in spirit! :)

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2417.msg24666#msg24666 date=1190243602]
are we actually hiking somewhere? I know there's a trail that goes all the way to the bridge or so... but at that time of night, I doubt I'd want to do it. Just trees over there at night...

[/quote]

According to Sean:

Afterwards, if anyone still has energy and is willing to brave the treacherous rocks, I'll be heading over to the Legion of Honour and parking my car there to hike down the cliffs to Land's End beach. There is a really cool old concrete structure that is falling apart and is covered in some great graffiti. It's great for some really eerie shots. There's also lots of big boulders and giant rocks right on the shoreline that are great for getting long exposure ocean "mist" waterline type stuff.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2417.msg24672#msg24672 date=1190252011]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2417.msg24666#msg24666 date=1190243602]

[/quote]

According to Sean:

Afterwards, if anyone still has energy and is willing to brave the treacherous rocks, I'll be heading over to the Legion of Honour and parking my car there to hike down the cliffs to Land's End beach. There is a really cool old concrete structure that is falling apart and is covered in some great graffiti. It's great for some really eerie shots. There's also lots of big boulders and giant rocks right on the shoreline that are great for getting long exposure ocean "mist" waterline type stuff.
[/quote]

Ah cool, I missed that part. That sounds exciting.

I'm not much for the graffiti on the building kind of stuff, but the last part of his description caught my attention. I'm a sucker for long exposures and anything that really has to do with water.

I'm packing up and getting ready!! Gonna eat some lunch, and then going to ACE hardware to look for some torches / lamps.

Back