Jestersix

Sweep or Sharp Elbow

In theory the sweet should have much lower head pressure. But the inner diameter at the turn of the sweep is smaller (3/4" vs 1" ish)

upload_2017-4-7_18-0-26.png

upload_2017-4-7_18-0-38.png

upload_2017-4-7_18-0-56.png

BRS did some testing recently....Not much difference between 2 45° or 1 90° when using 1" pipe fittings...

It's not a 45 deg elbow at all. It's a 90deg sweep or radius elbow. It's hard to tell from the picture, but is the inside diameter (ID) of the sweep smaller than the ID of the regular elbow? If the IDs are the same, I'd go with the sweep. If the regular elbow has a bigger ID, I would go with the regular elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they are both 90 3/4 elbows. The sweep version have 1" at opening (to fit OD of 3/4") but 3/4 in the middle.

The sharp version stay 1" the whole way but have worst laminar flow.

So I can't decide which would add more head pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

So they are both 90 3/4 elbows. The sweep version have 1" at opening (to fit OD of 3/4") but 3/4 in the middle.

The sharp version stay 1" the whole way but have worst laminar flow.

So I can't decide which would add more head pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
I think the BRS results would still be practically the same with this option too. They used 2 45 degree fittings to, hypothetically, ease the flow of the water but they were still pretty much the same.

There are much longer radius 90 degree pvc pieces. Schedul 80 even, bit you'll find them in electrical and not plumbing pvc. No idea if they're safe for tank plumbing though.

Remember that a lot of the formulas use squares.
A 1" pipe is almost twice the a area of a 3/4" pipe.
Friction is the square of the velocity, and velocity is dependent on pipe area.
Kinetic energy loss due to the angle will be identical. Same start, same end = same energy.

So the larger regular elbow should be better.

The electrical PVC conduit pipe has a nice bend, but it is not rated for drinking water because of plasticizers.

Back