Cali Kid Corals

Tank Transfer

I was planning on transferring everything in my 40 gallon to a new 55 gallon tank. I have a few concerns about my old tank that I wanted to bring to your attention. My old tank has Brown Hair algae, I have a few SPS, some Goniporas, Shrooms, Zoas and about 90 lbs of Live Rock.

Questions I have:

1. Can i transfer everything and toss the live Rock? Keep Bare bottom? or would that remove too much good bacteria?

2. Sump transfer. If i completely remove the sump and transfer it into a bigger sump. Would that also have an effect on my parameters?

3. should I just set up a brandnew tank and transfer everything when cycled? or would the tank not be matured enough?

Bummer the rock has HA. I would start as fresh as I could with a new system.

You should cook all the rocks and let that stuff just die off and start fresh with your old rocks. Cut all your corals off the old rocks and put em on plugs ect.

Sump transfer is going to stir up a LOT of detritus and other good stuff. It will more than likely cause and ammonia spike and a cycle or mini cycle.

You could setup a brand new tank, new rock and new sand (or bare bottom) let it cycle and slowly start moving your corals over.

Take your time and think out what you want to do and you should be successful.

Thanks for your advice Devon. does this mean ALL rocks in the tank needs to boiled or only rocks with HA? I also heard that Vinegar dosing helps feed beneficial bacteria and rid HA. Is this a fact?

My suggestion would be to get the new tank up and cycled, then SLOWLY transfer things over.
One rock at a time, several days or even a week apart.
This allows the bacteria in the new tank to keep pace with the bio-load.

As far as the rock:
If it has nice coraline, no algae, or corals, I would keep it.
But I would rinse it like crazy in salt water, and scrub it with a toothbrush.
If it is covered in hair algae, then kill/soak/clean it.

I would transfer a small amount of sand, just as you cycle new tank, to help populate
the new sand bed. But otherwise I would really clean it well before re-using it.

Key: You cannot keep the hair algae spores out. Basically impossible.
But it does help a lot to eliminate established clumps.

Hmm i will most likely just start a new tank. New Sand. New rocks and transfer everything when ready. I just dont want to kill the corals since its not mature enough.

Back