Cali Kid Corals

Tap plastics and acrylic tanks??

I have a 65 gallon tank that i want to turn into a sump for my current project. the tank is a standard 65 gallon 48" long. I want to cut the whole top off so there is no bracing. I assume the baffles that will get attached will act as a bracing? water level in the skimmer section will be about 6-7" high. I dont have an exact plan yet but can this be done? Has anyone done anything like this and will tap even touch a tank?

TAP won't do it most likely as gluing and cutting a used aquarium can yield poor results at times (crazing/breaking). I'd just do it yourself. I would also not trim all the bracing off such a large tank as the baffles are an afterthought on an old tank, and not enough to hold it together most likely. I'd route the top back in places and keep some of it intact.

I have also been wondering about the integrity of acrylic sumps with portions of the top supports cut away (like mine, to fit the skimmer, return pump, etc.). What about gluing a center brace made of acrylic with Weld-on? Would that help keep the sump from bowing or crazing?

99sf said:
I have also been wondering about the integrity of acrylic sumps with portions of the top supports cut away (like mine, to fit the skimmer, return pump, etc.). What about gluing a center brace made of acrylic with Weld-on? Would that help keep the sump from bowing or crazing?

LOL, didnt see you posted right before me....but im asking about cutting the bracing off. hehe. for sure the bracing helps alot especialy with truvu tanks as there always made pretty thin.

Hi, ive cut the top off of stuff before, what happens is that the long spans without horizontal structure bowes over time. The heat and cooling causes the non supported lengths to expand and contract causing the sump to rip itself apart at the seams on end. (sump sides) I would reccomend putting lenghts of 1" ot more scrap with weld on 16 and clamps on edge by the top, This will keep the top from bowing. I can cut lengths for you if you need.

Gen, what about simply cutting the center brace but leaving the outside bracing on? Since the tank isn't going to be full would that be fine?

I made one that way, removing the whole top but a 1" flange all around, did use Weldon 16 to use a 3/8" support to prevent bowing right above the fuge baffle and over the bubble trap to allow full clearance for the skimmer.
In the event of an over-spill to the sump for whatever reason, the sump should be able to hold it's full volume, better safe than sorry IMO.

GreshamH said:
Gen, what about simply cutting the center brace but leaving the outside bracing on? Since the tank isn't going to be full would that be fine?
Sure thatll work, the center brace does alot when the tank is full. Sumps are usually not full all the time, but as you know the pump turns off sometime and fill sit up! I suppose as long as the seams are good, thats a great solution.

GreshamH said:
Sure thatll work, the center brace does alot when the tank is full. Sumps are usually not full all the time, but as you know the pump turns off sometime and fills it up! I suppose as long as the seams are good, thats a great solution.

Back